Making a sheath for myself.

Title says "most" of it.  I've got a new-in-the-box Buck #119.  I inherited it from my Uncle, who died many years ago.  The knife is so old that the price on the box was $20.  I don't use it, but the thing I've always disliked about it was the (what I consider) ugly Buck sheath.  Never liked the way the knife is retained in the sheath.  So I've decided my first venture into the sheath making world will be a sheath that can be tossed in the trash if I mess it up and no-one will be able to complain.  First thought was a wrap sheath like many of you make.  But the more I look at it, the more I'm wondering if a stack sheath makes more sense because of the size of this knife.

Okay............enough setting of the scene.  My question is...........at what point would one switch from a wrapped sheath to a stacked one............or is size even a consideration in that choice?????  What got me thinking about it was a video where Kyle Royer made a stacked sheath for a similar knife. 

Thanks for posting this Chris. Kyle’s videos have been well received and informative, certainly in my case.

oh well.......I see more tools I need! 

Gary LT

Afaik the size of the knife does not really matter in the choice of sheath type.

As a general rule a folded sheath is simpler, and you have to do less stitching. attaching a belt loop is somewhat trickier than on a stacked sheath.

A stacked sheath has the advantage that tooling is easier, because you are working with flat leather and stiching on a belt loop/retaining straps is simple to do before the parts are put together.

A stacked sheath tends to bet a bit wider and less form fitting, and so it can look out of place on smaller knives.

For the knife you mention I would personally do a stacked sheath, I think it fits the style of knife and would play nice with the hand guard.

• Like 1

Thank you, Pieter-Paul.  That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to learn right now.  I had just about decided the wrapped sheath wouldn't look too nice with a hand guard like the Buck has on it.

Whoops....! I don’t read the entire post, so my reply was not in order.

Pieter is right and good choice not to do a wrap.

Gary LT