Eyed Crushed W's Hunter

That's a pretty cool pattern, never seen it before.  Nice blade too. 

Very nice. 

I'm guessing this pattern is essentially a "teardrop" w/ crushed W's? (I.e. drill a bunch of holes part way into a billet of W's then smoosh flat?)

Thanks

Dave

Dave it is crushed W's but not drilled.

I use two plates with 3/8 balls welded to them. I was never a fan of drilling or cutting groves in a billet, I would rather do the pattern with a die.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Bjorn Gylfason said:

That's a really interesting pattern and I like how you did it as I'm not a huge fan of patterns that waste two thirds of the material

It is a very nice pattern. I think there is still a bit of waste as you have to grind it down to the bottom of the divots to create the pattern.

Very nice Cal, I do like those full tangs with dovetailed bolsters. Do you pin or solder your bolsters?

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

It is a very nice pattern. I think there is still a bit of waste as you have to grind it down to the bottom of the divots to create the pattern.

Very nice Cal, I do like those full tangs with dovetailed bolsters. Do you pin or solder your bolsters?

They are pinned with 1/8 pins. I have only made one knife with a soldered bolster and I was less than pleased with the outcome.

19 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Cal, Had you ever seen this pattern before? How's things in Regina? 

Ray I had had never seen this pattern. One day I decided to put some eyes in a crushed W's billet and kind of liked the way it turned out. Kind of looks like little Pacmans.

Things are good here Ray except it was a little smokey here last week, ( I thought you might have burned down your shop again) it is amazing how far that smoke travels.

Take care and stay safe.

I have tried to solder stainless bolsters (410/416) and failed, so I also pin SS bolsters. Nickel-silver however, solders on very nicely.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:38 AM, Cal G said:

Dave it is crushed W's but not drilled.

I use two plates with 3/8 balls welded to them. I was never a fan of drilling or cutting groves in a billet, I would rather do the pattern with a die.

Ah! Thank you.