Thanks, Alan.  It says it's a "natural" linen cord.  Does that mean it will stain easily if I don't want White?  I noticed that wasn't waxed.  If I want to dye it, it couldn't be waxed, could it?  Reason I ask is I'm wondering if I should just buy the thread color of choice already waxed.  ???

I find the wax isn't heavy enough to prevent dye from taking, or at least from wicking in from the stripped spots, so I may not be waxing it right.  So, I just use the natural linen on most things.  I do have some black nylon I use for certain non-sheath things, like when I'm forced to fix something for someone because my wife thinks I can fix anything (I can't) and that I am more than happy to do it for anyone (depends on for whom)...:rolleyes::lol:

If you  want true black thread, there's nothing wrong with buying black thread, or whatever color you want.  In my own experience, I just don't often bother waxing the thread, so it takes whatever dye the sheath gets just fine.  I guess if I were a shoemaker or saddlemaker I'd feel differently, or if I were a real leatherworker.  Hopefully one of those will chime in, this is about the limit of my knowledge on this one!

I used to use the wax thread for hand sewing and it would stay white if just using neatsfoot oil as a finish. I’ve since switched to tex 270 bonded nylon thread for hand sewing. It will pretty much turn the color of your dye or stain. It still stays white if just using neatsfoot oil. The waxed thread will get splotchy on you if using dyes or stains. If I dye or stain a project nowadays, I’ll do that before stitching if I want the white thread contrast. I do more machine sewing now and use 207 size thread. I’ve hand sewn with it also but I like the 270 better for hand sewing. Recent hand sewn project with white 270 and stained with some saddle tan hi-lighter. 1911 mag holster.

Jon

D839D0EB-44FA-4A04-AE6F-5F39A4F0040A.jpeg

With the sheaths I've made I like using Tiger thread in 0.8mm and 1.0mm. I'm using the John James harness needles in the 4 size. They're a little smaller in diameter and go thru your holes a little easier. Tiger thread is great for sheaths and very strong. It's waxed but will take die. I don't usually die the thread as I like the offset color.

10 sheaths.jpg