Poor man's ivory

I had received the piece of sambar stag in a trade for doing some heat treating years ago. The previous owner had removed a good deal of the bark before I got it and I removed much more. Back when you could get sambar stage for under 10 bucks a piece is when it received its nickname, pour man's ivory. Nice looking piece of bone. Blade was once part of a much larger drag saw blade, fittings are from some of the finest wrought iron west of the Rocky's. Overall length of knife is 11". Surprised myself that I had desire to try making sheaths again. First time for me to use leather over a wood liner. 

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Most excellent, sir!  Good to see you posting stuff.  I like everything about the whole package. B)

Hope the smoke's not too bad where you are.

Most of this knife and sheath were done in the smoke house, my shop. We just got a 2 day break from the smoke, a little rain, blue skies and was able to see the stars last night. However it is now getting smoky again. Hope this is short lived smoke this time.  I believe a few of the larger fires are still going. I think we the home to the new Smoky Mountains.....  Photo's were taken from my backyard. First one with smoke above and after it decided to come join us. It was like the second photo about 5 days. 

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg