Don't use diamond grinding wheels on carbon steel?

This was posted in a local to me metal working group.

"The grinding literature advises against using diamond wheels to grind 
carbon steel.  The reasoning provided is the diamond pulls the carbon 
out of the steel solution.  CBN is the recommended hard abrasive for 
carbon steel.  Diamond for carbide. "

Has anyone ever seen this claim?  Is there any truth to it?

Geoff 

Completely wrong.  We can't use the diamond on our high chrome white iron because the carbide causes the wheels to heat up and the glue holding the diamond on it fails.  Kind of like how using a worn grinding belt heats things up since it isn't cutting the metal nearly as much as it is rubbing it.  Diamond is ONLY for mild and low alloy steel in our shop.  Except we don't like to switch wheels so we just don't use diamond.  

I remember this from some older literature.... statement of the carbon in the diamond converting to graphite under the conditions of grinding and wearing off.

A quick search found this article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/sdfe/pdf/download/eid/1-s2.0-0141635983900636/first-page-pdf

Ric

and this https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250317238_Wear_Mechanism_of_Diamond_Cutting_Tool_in_Machining_of_Steel

Ah, thanks, Ric and Jerrod!  That explains it.  The diamond itself wears much faster on high carbon steel than some other materials because of the heat from grinding high carbon steel.  I liked the "10 to the fourth times faster than on brass" comparison, that's some fast wear. 

The original statement in question had it exactly wrong, suggesting that diamond can "steal" carbon from steel.  Thus my confusion.  I mean, pure carbon does not need more carbon.  

5 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

The original statement in question had it exactly wrong, suggesting that diamond can "steal" carbon from steel.  Thus my confusion.  I mean, pure carbon does not need more carbon.  

My wife read the first part, but not the follow-ups.  She ran off giggling, and set her engagement ring on my anvil :D

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

She ran off giggling, and set her engagement ring on my anvil :D

I could be wrong here, but I think you are now officially engaged to your anvil.  Best of luck on that... :lol:

• Haha 1