WIP..... possibly A Hobbit Sword

I had one of those days where I had no real plans but just felt like starting another WIP project and forging something from my scrap bin after a Long overdue clean up of the forge.

Sitting in my scrap was the fuller tool I used when forging Monsoon and After a dodgy fix up I thought I would once again call it to duty.

I am getting a kind of funny familiar forgotten Hobbit Feeling and at this stage am leaning towards a short sword but as always this just may change into something else.

Anyhow here it hangs, as forged.

I later did a slight clean up and then did the heat treat which came out great and straight.

More pics as it progresses further.

96F75974-ACC0-458C-A338-D787A22712C9.jpeg

CF9219DB-7E10-4ABF-BC3A-12C3C21ED8EC.jpeg

9A22B0D1-7235-494A-9CAA-B20235C51DF8.jpeg

98012210-AFB3-4AF0-B0EA-11832BB2145E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well the blade part is finished. A lot of firsts for me but that is what its all about. I will make a scabbard for this one next.   Anyhow I decided to take the above words of Bjorn into acc

Hi guys, Today I decided to forge the pommel.   Back to my scrap heap for inspiration.   I made a slot punch from an old rasp and cut the end off of a dumbbell bar for the pommel.

Finished. Just got to add some leather straps.   Thanks for the feedback and advice along the way.        

Posted Images

I'm liking the looks of that Rob! Hobbit sword indeed!

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Nice work Rob. How big are the rounds on that fuller tool?

Hi Josh, 1 inch

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, Went to do some grinding today and was just not happy with the heat treat as I realised that I forgot to heat my canola when I did the quench.

Anyhow I re did the quench tonight with heated oil and it was much much better. No warps but I did get a very slight bend near the tip but I have all but got it completely out during temper cycles and the rest I will get in grinding.

• Like 3

Got it straightened out.

Edge is about 2mm thick so I still have a long way to go grinding but I am glad I did not take it too much thinner for the quench.

Wish I had a small wheel to clean that fuller out.

As forged it weighed 700 grams but I want it much lighter.

FF2E454B-BF5D-461B-8C8D-7B3437A1EF2C.jpeg

F4EAA420-6140-4B19-8BC2-B0378D525B0D.jpeg

• Like 4

Looking better all the time!  Take a piece of that 1" round and use it as a sanding block for the fuller.  Or make a scraper to fit.  A scraper will get the rough scale out, but will still need to be followed with paper or stones. I use a 2 inch wheel, myself... ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looking better all the time!  Take a piece of that 1" round and use it as a sanding block for the fuller.  Or make a scraper to fit.  A scraper will get the rough scale out, but will still need to be followed with paper or stones. I use a 2 inch wheel, myself... ;)

Hi Alan, do you have a pic of a scraper face?

still more to go but I have it at 550 gm

Oh.. I have the Hobbit covered 

8033EA3C-85D7-42AC-AE25-C3FB5DCDE59D.jpeg

78E76909-73E2-4AB1-8FDA-F4C0FA59A649.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

do you have a pic of a scraper face?

Check this thread out.

2 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

I have the Hobbit covered 

Nice tee-shirt! What was the name of that magic sword of Griffendor? You know, the one that gets pulled out of the sorting hat at the final battle.

• Thanks 1

Probably. It's been a long time since I read any Potter books. That "Hobbit" in the Hogwarts tee-shirt made me think about what mixing the mythos would produce.

Harry Potterfoot carrying the Dagger of Gryffindor and using it as a short sword.

• Haha 1

that is looking great so far. The hardest part of bladesmithing is when we get drawn into making all the stuff that isn't a blade :)

Soak the blade in vinegar overnight to get the scale to soften up and mostly come off. Then, go at the fuller with 180 grit paper wrapped around a piece of metal or hard wood shaped to fit the fuller. If you can put wings on it so you can hold it better and use two hands it will work even better. 

If you have a big round file, even if it tapers, and you can sacrifice it, you can break it off into about a 1-2" long section, and set that halfway into a wood block with handles, and epoxy it in. Then, you have a scraper/filing tool. if you grind and polish the leading edge to exactly 90 deg you can use the leading edge as a scraper and the file teeth too depending upon slight changes of angle in how you hold the tool. Hope this makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Kevin Colwell said:

that is looking great so far. The hardest part of bladesmithing is when we get drawn into making all the stuff that isn't a blade :)

So true Kevin and thanks for the info too

On 9/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Hi Alan, do you have a pic of a scraper face?

I just found this one in Pinned Tools & Tool making

There are several iterations and different versions within that thread

• Thanks 1

I have made a couple of failed attempts at making a scraper like shown above but have had the best results with a dremel like this and various sizes of sanding rolls. It's not the optimal use of the rolls as I have to tilt it a bit but whatever gets the job done

IMG_20201004_130105.jpg

• Thanks 1