Japanese Stone Info&Terminology

Hello, please let me know if this is a repost of this particular website, but in my roamings of the interwebs I came across this website:

http://www.tomonagura.com

Its not very intuitive to navigate, but a little exploring seems to lead to some fun stuff.:lol:

As a newbie trying to research this part of the blade making world the Glossary in the “jnats” section has been WONDERFUL!

Hope someone else gets some joy out of it! I’ve been filling hours reading definitions and trying to learn all I can with no end in sight, lol:D

Heres a blast from the past, 2003, from the early days of the Don Fogg Forum. Back then there was very little information about anything, just the coveted VHS tapes. For a time there was a great interest in traditional Japanese polishing, the mystery and secrets of it all. 

• Like 1

Thank Bryan, that was great to read through!

I was amazed at how little there really is in the way of traditional stone polishing info other than references to those coveted VHS and a few mentions here and there. And forget about trying to competently buy stones.:blink: I don’t speak too much Japanese, and I’m looking at mine selection, hard vs soft, natural slurry vs nagura, various descriptive Japanese words tossed in for flavor, all with hundreds of dollars in the balance....my head was definitely spinning.

This Forum has definitely been helpful in making polishing feel more attainable, and other places like the above mentioned website and Dave J.’s Incredible collection of video’s and writings at Islandblacksmith.ca have helped shed some light on the elusive world as well:ph34r::D

This subject has gone around a few times, for me its mostly a money and time issue, with up to 2000 grit paper available, and  spray adhesives, one can get a bunch of stuff done. I lived in Asia for 8 years, so very influenced by that experience, highest regards to the artist there. At the moment Im learning engraving, with a GRS setup and thinking ways I can use that in an oriental way. 

Back in the early days of the forum, hardly anyone knew anything, thats why we came here, to tap into Don Foggs experience which he shared freely. People have come and gone, some are more collector or into personal blades than selling, but this forum has created more great bladesmiths than every other website combined and all the information is still there, especially the early day stuff, 2003 to 2010. 

I remembered looking into getting Japanese stones back then and found the old link, 

• Like 1