Stainless Wootz:)

I was waiting for someone to find that and ask. :lol:

It's old news, been known in the crucible community for at least 15 years.  And a misleading title.  It's just Persian wootz, which often has a little chromium in it.  Just like the wootz from Turkmenistan often has vanadium.  Lots of half-truths in that article, what one would expect when someone unfamiliar with the stuff reads a scientific study. Conclusions are jumped to, in other words. 

• Like 2

Sorry,Alan,i posted this in jest more than anything....It sure seemed a bit over-popularized,but i'd no idea the news were That old!:)

I did try to stretch my poor pea-brain over the immensity that comprises the "wootz world",failing largely....It IS most fascinating though,i admire those that manage to keep up on it.

No worries, I knew you were posting it in jest. B)  My own pea brain has forgotten a lot, but I seem to recall someone, maybe Anne Feuerbach? Achim Wirtz? talking about chromium in Persian wootz ca. 2005 or so.  What I don't get from that article is the phosphorus. Then again, the Islamic world at that time was the leader in scientific chemistry, so maybe that particular crucible fragment was an experiment to see just how much of "ingredient X" (probably a known high-P ore) they could add before the benefit became a complete liability...

Wootz makers are generally tight-lipped about their methods and recipes in public.  Academics rarely realize that, as in so many other instances, and as such they often think they're doing groundbreaking research when it's been known in the relatively small community of makers and the researchers they work with for some time.

I've never met a crucible steel maker who won't help a fellow smith who is genuinely interested, but there is a very real feeling that you have to have done a hell of a lot of the work on your own to prove you are worthy.  It's not that it's a secret, it's just the price of knowledge.  

• Like 1

Both dow rigged sailboats and crucible steel came from India and spread from there. Indians would sail into the the Red Sea and get the boats hijacked, eventually they were copied. My opinion, indians made crucible first, it went overland to Japan via China. While I was living in Asia there was a forge found in Malyasia close to the border of Thailand, that was probably the entry of steel into crossing the straights of Malaca then into Southern Philippines, from there into Northern Philippines. 

Basically there is nothing new under the sun, the oldest Wootz aka Crucible Steel, came from India, then went to Middle East, probably via Mongols. Some hate to hear it, but Japanese did not invent swords or sword making, they sure enough improved on it, perfected it by duplication before we could scientifically see inside the steel, but it came from Mongols first over land then by sea. There is a bunch of crazy unknown history there, just try to explain to FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) guy in Manilla all their steel and sword designs came from Southern Philippines aka Sulu Sultanate. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turko-Mongol_sabers