Where Are They Now, Fall 2020

4 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

one of the best no-bullshit forums I've ever experienced.

That's by design.  When Don started this thing in 2003, it was almost entirely pros talking shop with each other.  It was kind of intimidating for noobs because these were the names that were regularly appearing in Blade magazine.  Lots of ABS mastersmiths.  But, everyone was (mostly) fair and polite to one another, and to those of us noobs who dared to respectfully ask for help or critique.  As the years went by and more beginners found the forum, Don created the "Beginner's Place" subforum just for them so that the experienced smiths wouldn't be bothered with the repetitive questions if they didn't feel like looking at them.  Then something interesting happened:  Some of those noobs from 2003-2005 gained enough skill from the folks here and through hammer-ins that we started answering questions ourselves.  By the time Don retired in 2010, the forum had become more of an "Experienced amateurs and a few professionals talking about cool stuff and helping each other" thing.  Sometime between then and now, most of the pros and more than a few of the serious semi-pros dropped out, and more and more beginners found us, mostly because, as Dave pointed out, nine times out of ten if you google a bladesmithing question you're gonna get us as the first few links returned.  

Don founded this place based on no nonsense, truth, no (or very few) secrets, and respect for all as equals.  When Dave and the rest of the board selected by Don to take over had our first meeting to discuss things, we agreed that was what made this place special and thus we would strive to keep it that way.  It's a place you can ask any reasonable (and a few unreasonable!) questions about the craft and get a straight answer with no condescension or bullying.   

You guys make it an easy thing to moderate the place.  Don's rules about using real names for accounts is one of the bigger parts of that, you wouldn't believe how many people get turned away because they don't read that before they try to register.  In the entire history of the forum, only five people have been banned.  Don did one and I did the rest.  In all cases it was due to someone not showing respect.  Bullying in all but one case, the other was relentless misinformation.  

• Like 1

I remember when I joined here, I DID NOT read the rule about using ones real name ( as an IT geek, that is a hard and fast NO WAY rule for me ) and I emailed Alan explaining the situation. 

I dont recall exactly the delay, but Alan replied to me same day and we worked it out to where I would have my account. No muss no fuss. And I had been on a couple forums already as I was just getting into things. 

Nowdays, the only time I ever hit up the other forums is to look into other things that are not entirely bladesmith related ( like general blacksmithing stuff ) which I rarely do to begin with. I got into this to line my walls with swords and other weapons I cant afford to buy. And to learn something I had wanted to learn since I was a small child. And the Community here on this page has been one of the best things for me to move foward, I just hope one day I can pay the debt back by helping other newbs out as well. 

• 1 month later...

I came here after being insulted by the elitist attitudes on IFI that developed after I joined.

The respect and courtesy given to all here is the key for it's popularity.

May that, and the free flow of knowledge never end here...........................B)

• Like 2
On 11/21/2020 at 2:13 PM, Clifford Brewer said:

I came here after being insulted by the elitist attitudes on IFI that developed after I joined.

The respect and courtesy given to all here is the key for it's popularity.

May that, and the free flow of knowledge never end here...........................B)

Amen.

I was regular on IFI from the KeenJunk days and finally had my fill.

I'd like to know how many folks I have referred to this site over the years. KInda like a family here... Addams family, maybe, but still family.

bladesmithsforum.com... the one Facebook couldn't kill.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1