I'm working on a piece that has a bunch of bits.  It's a conceptual piece, sort of the sidearm of a desert wanderer.  The scabbard will have several pockets and other stuff.  The main blade is a big camp knife/sword with a knuckle bow and a mid 19th century saber style mounts.  Some of this stuff is going to go on the scabbard (side knife and fork and the fire steel), the rest may go in a trousse, in which case there are a couple of other things to be made:  a larger knife, a skewer or two, toasting fork, maybe some copper cups or dishes, maybe a set of hygiene tools.

This has been a challenge.  First, I don't do many pieces the same, so thinking  about how to do that was an issue.  Second, I'm not really tooled to work on this scale.  I need to make some itty bitty tongs.  Third, I was able to come with novel ways to screw these things up, so there are a bunch of false starts littering the floor.

So this is what I've been doing

IMG_2154 (Medium).JPG

• Like 4

Intriguing idea. Just throwing a few ideas out there, based on the Wastelander name.

If this is the artifact of a desert wanderer, why would all the accessories be the same design/style?

Wouldn't it be more likely that some of them were found items and got added to his kit along the way?

That's a good idea.  The scabbard will get some design elements that will be different, partly since I'm having someone else do it, and I've giving him only the most basic direction.  I guess it's back to the forge for me.  Oh, NO, Mister Wolf, don't throw me in the briar patch!

Geoff

• Haha 1

Very cool concept. I am actually working on something similar as a college graduation present for my son. I was looking at it as the "Apocalypse Survival Kit". It is going to be a matching accessory to the pack I made him to contain his bow drill kit that he made in Boy Scouts. You are way further along than I am (I'm only in the drawing phase as I've been working on Christmas presents), so it will be interesting to watch your progression. I will admit that I will shamelessly steal cool ideas that you post :D.

excellent idea. I am getting my head back into Dune (as if I ever really left it). Good timing. I love the old saber/hunting swords and related styles. I am happy to see you working on this. Maybe that is his prize possession (most prized?) and he took if off of a wealthy opponent. All tricked out. We have a Civil War era Spencer repeating rifle in our family that is sort of like this. We are from Texas. The rifle was a Union model for those who don't know. 

• 1 month later...

I'm making some progress.  Most of the small bits are done, everything needs some time in the tumbler.  I decided to include a Sigan Dhu, so that is taking some time, buttons for the scabbard are done.  Lots of this and that.  Next it goes off for the scabbard.  I'll do all of the final fit up after it gets back.

126194872_446188526369742_6576995563216365775_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

The Wastelander is done enough to go to have the scabbard made.  The main blade is going to get a leather and wire wrap treatment.  The sgian-dubh will get a spacer and some sort of decoration.  Two side knives and a couple of fire steels, plus a handful of coin buttons are the rest of the package.  I'm probably going to do a trousse with the rest of the bits.  I may end up with an acid etch on the main blade.  So far, so good

IMG_2207.JPG

G

• Like 5