Not sure it this is the correct forum for this question, or not, but here goes:

What kind of "paperwork" do most of you folks  give to the customer with the knives you sell?  I want to be able to show the customer what kind of steel and treatment is in the knife................what kind of wood or components in the handle, etc, and any other info that might be of interest to the purchaser.  Do you have a card you simply fill out, or do you just put all that info on the invoice?  I've done the latter...........but don't think that looks too professional.  I'd like to work something up and have some cards printed.  Any examples you'd like to share would be much appreciated.

I fill in one of these for every knife that leaves the shop and also send a guarantee and a business card. I have a seperate guarantee for the stainless blades.

IMG_20201003_151520.jpgIMG_20201003_151539.jpgIMG_20201003_151550.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Garry.

Thanks for the link, Jarrod, but I think his "Diary" is worth more than the knives I make!!!!!  :D  Anyone else able to contribute answers to my question?

I have a smarmy letter to go with tomahawks. I wrote it for the guy who used to keep me busy cranking them out as Christmas presents for his business clients.  It's on my old desktop, I'd have to see if it would even fire up again to get a copy.  But it's not what I'd send with anything but a hawk. Mostly a feel-good old-timey handmade object drivel with some details about materials and care.  I can try to dig up a copy tomorrow if you want.

Posted (edited)

Not necessary, Alan, but thanks. What I'm really trying to come up with it something like this:

Knife Certificate-2.jpg

Not something like a written explanation, but data about the knife itself.  This one is okay for starters, but I'm wondering if some of you knife makers might have other things that you think should go on the certificate.

Edited by Chris Christenberry

JMO

I think the only reason to create any type of certificate is for posterity. It's because at some point in the future, you think it would be beneficial for someone to know and/or prove, that the knife in their hand was made by a specific maker, possibly even identify the date/year, materials, etc.

So like everything else in bladesmith work, form follows function.

Decide what the purpose is, or what you want the certificate to do, and build a certificate that accomplishes what you intend.

• Like 1

some people go nuts for branding, probably most of them

some brands sell their branding to third world factories, actually most of them

a good knife that will be used will be known to be good, so if it isnt going to be used to its full extent a certificate would help show that it is a quality piece, but it better not be a low quality thing, like any other part of the knife.

i would like to know what the steel and the other materials of a knife are, that is useful information, also contact information would be great.

my stuff doesnt get much attention, i think when im gone my knives will reach their full potential.

so then, if the question is "should paperwork go with the knife?" then the answer is, does it fit with the knife and the maker?

tales of fantasy arent written on receipts, but often sad poetry can be tossed in the street 

• Haha 1