I found a 700gr hatchet in a market that had an elongated and teardrop "eye" for the handle with a beatiful shape. I took it with the idea of modifying it and obtaining a bearded one with the addition of a steel beard obtained from the leafspring of a truck thick enough to be forged. then I cut away a piece of the bevel of the purchased axe and welded the leafspring. then I forged the new bevel, reshape the profile, heat treated and sharpened it. with a nice piece of walnut I made the curved handle and with a piece of lthick leather a sheath to protect the edge (and myself).

for those who want more details I also made a video of the various steps:

trasformazione.png

• Like 1

Not bad, I found myself looking for a way to save a project and had to do some similar steps. Without access to a coal forge this year, I found that the only way I'd have any success was to MIG the carbon steel to the body.  It has its technical problems being welded in that way, but survived.  

• 1 month later...

Yes, you are right Daniel. I was quite worried that during the heat treatment I would get some problems on the welding line but with a couple of normalization everything went perfectly. in my view the secret is to make big bevels on both the parts so that the welding penetration can be 100% deep.