So I'm finally going to get around to building a sword heat treating forge, and I'd like to be able to get an accurate read on the temperature. I have 2x 12" K-type probes and a digital thermometer/display unit that I bought years ago. My question is how to mount them? Do I need to stick some stainless tube into the forge to shield them, or can I just drill a hole in the shell and poke them through the wool? Do I need to do anything to protect the plastic connectors at the ends of the probes? Ideally I'd like to be able to take measurements at either end of the forge and one in the centre - can I just pull a probe out and stick it in a different hole?  Also, the instruction booklet for the thermometer says nothing about calibration - should I check it by sticking a probe in a pot of boiling water?

1 hour ago, jake cleland said:

Ideally I'd like to be able to take measurements at either end of the forge and one in the centre - can I just pull a probe out and stick it in a different hole? 

I'd probably get a couple of ceramic sheaths and install these where you want them.   I got mine from Auberins.com.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=40

You can slide the TC in and out as needed.  Be careful when doing this because they do get really hot!  (Don't ask me how I know....)

And yes, it's as easy as drilling a hole and inserting the sheath.  I've done this with a castable shell in my forge, and am currently using insboard to make my forge smaller and just drilled a hole and poked the sheath in as deep as needed.  As long as the wires and plastic connectors are far enough out of the forge, and there's enough insulatioon to separate them from the forging atmosphere, there shouldn't be any problem.  Mine sticks out about 6" and no problems.

Edited by billyO