A close friend wound up having to clean out the garage of one of his deceased friends and I offered to help. The friend was into furniture restorations and had some tools. He also had some tools that belonged to his father.

My friend was told he could have what he wanted and he told me I could do the same, so I picked up a few things. What I took included some antique bar clamps that I can use, a neat looking adjustable wrench that I will probably display in my shop, a bunch of drill bits and some odd bits of metal that I thought might be of use in knife making.

So would anyone care to offer an opinion about what I have, (including the drill bits - the shanks appear too big for any drill I have).

What I would like to do is trade anything useful for an unshaped knife blank at least big enough to make a paring knife - either san mai or damascus and of a known steel - if the stuff is worth anything, and if that is within forum rules. And someone within an hour or two of central VA would be preferred - I could meet halfway.

Well, the photos did not post in the order I expected, but I think you guys can figure it out...  :rolleyes:

First photo is a tray of tools - I only took the adjustable wrench. Would the tongs on the left be useable for forging?

# 2 is some irons - I didn't take any of them. I am hoping someone can shed some light on them just out of curiosity.

# 3 is what I brought home. Top right is a hunk of metal with a spiral groove winding around from top to bottom. Is any of it forgeable?

# 4 is a photo of the clamps I brought home.

20201013_150311[1].jpg

20201013_201358[1].jpg

20201013_145843[1].jpg

20201013_201514[1].jpg

Edited by Ron Benson
58 minutes ago, Ron Benson said:

Would the tongs on the left be useable for forging?

Those are nippers for cutting off nailheads, but yeah, if you forge the jaws out flat they could be pickup tongs.

59 minutes ago, Ron Benson said:

I am hoping someone can shed some light on them just out of curiosity.

They're called sad irons, because they suck to have to use. :lol:  Cast iron, heated by setting on or against a stove.  A couple of those have wrought iron handles staked in, which isn't that common.  They're worth a couple bucks apiece, and make great doorstops.

1 hour ago, Ron Benson said:

Is any of it forgeable?

All the chisels are, as is the open-end wrench.  I wouldn't mess with the leveling screws, and I have no clue about the turned part.  You can always spark-test it.  The drill bits are reduced-shank Silver & Deming bits.  Meant for use in a lathe.  I think I see at least one Morse taper shank bit as well, on the far left.  They might be forgeable, or not.  Depends on how old they are.  If they're M2 HSS, I wouldn't try.  

The nippers are also great for pulling nails and staples.  I keep a pair in my tool box for just that purpose.  The rest, I wouldn't try forging, no idea what it is, so no way to judge heat treatment.  As there's some cool, and to somebody, useful stuff mixed in there, better to Craigslist or a local flea market.  As I recall, there's one just south of Richmond

The threaded parts which I believe are adjusters for support columns used on sagging or bouncing floors are probably mild steel and would be forgeable but not good cutting tools.  You would have to consider how the cut threads are going to work in to the forging or grind them away first.  Could be interesting bottle openers.

I tried grinding the cylinder and it did not spark. I looked at the ground area, and it's pale yellow. That makes me think it's brass...

Edited by Ron Benson

I wouldn't forge the pipe wrench on the left next to the nippers(the one with the twisted handle).  It looks like the jaws are smooth and that would make a great twisting wrench after you weld another handle on the other side. 

Edited by billyO
46 minutes ago, Brian Myers said:

should be forgeable

Except for the chrome plating.  Not saying you can't, I just wouldn't, not knowing what the base layers are.  Usually copper followed by nickel then chrome, but you never know.  

• Like 1

Oh...crap I forgot about the coating, I was just thinking about the steel body. Chrome, nickel and copper...all could lead to metal fume fever at high heat. *smacks forehead*

• Like 1

I think I see some lubrication cuts in the cylinder piece that you think is brass or bronze so probably a turning shaft of some kind.  Could make a nice non marring hammer.