Now what do I do with it?

That is too cool. How did you do the texture? I'm guessing it's about 6 inches long.

I think that this is a perfect opportunity to make cabinet door hardware.

• Like 1

Tig or Mig welded texture?    Could be a cool handle for a shield or something.   Do you have the capabilities to hollow it out ?  Then it would be a cool handle on a long blade or walking staff or cane.    Weld spikes to both ends and use it as a thrower ?    Make it into a roller to texture leather or wood (if heated)?   Cool looking candle holder ?    Neat handle for a wooden chest or fancy cabinet.   Or a Pull handle for a door.   I'm still leaning towards adding a spike or two on the ends.    Or you can cut it in two and add a chain to make a manrikigusari.

Cool texture.  Looks like a brain.

Edited by Bruno

I wanted to put it up before I said the how.  Which is a long time in a tumbler.  I put a bunch of castoffs in the tumbler to add some mass and after a long time, this is what happened. 

7 hours ago, Brian Myers said:

I could see chunks of that used as pommels!! 1/2 is pretty small for that though.

I'm going to put in a few handle size to see if it happens again.

Were there any non-ferrous metals in the cast-offs you threw in?  If so, the iron, and other metals mixed with the liquid may have made enough of a battery to cause electro-chemical etching to occur.

It is a fantastic effect.  I hope you can repeat it!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Which is a long time in a tumbler. 

I would think it had to be significantly rusted before tumbling and the patterning/pitting is from the rusting, not the tumbling.  But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's an interesting effect.  I wonder if it's work-hardening during the early stage of tumbling, which then prevented erosion of the corners?  

Sort of like peening?

On 10/16/2020 at 11:29 AM, Gerald Boggs said:

No idea, but I'm going to try to repeat this.  This took a few months, so it will be a while.

A few months in the tumbler?