Couple of questions on sheaths

I’d like to start making leather sheaths soon and I’ve got some questions.

Can I make a sheath with only rivets? Pros/Cons of rivets vs stitching?

Where should I get materials for sheaths? 

rivets require a wider sheath than a stitched one and can look amateurish in my not so humble opinion.

• Like 1

You won't like the rivet look.  Try the stitching, it isn't as difficult as it looks. 

It's another one of those things that you can learn to do in an hour, but spend a lifetime perfecting.  However, IMNSHO a decently stitched sheath, even if done an an amateurish way, will look nicer than one with rivets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make you life easier and get a stitching pony.  It's a wooden clamp that attaches to a board on the bottom that you sit on under your thighs.  It gives you  that vital third hand that you will feel that you need if you try doing it without one (don't ask me how I know).  You can also pick up three or four pamphlets on stitching, tooling, and lacing for around $20.  Also check youtube on videos on sheath making.  A basic tooling set is also not expensive.  There are fancy stitching patterns out there but my recommendation is that you learn the saddle stitch.  It's simple and the only pattern that you will every really need.

Doug