Imaging in metal

Just thought I would start a thread to see what items besides knives everyone has made.  Turns out a hammer and anvil isn't just for knives anymore (did I really say that out loud?).  I'll start with a little metal and woodworking for a Christmas present.

20201025_224234.jpg

20201025_224142.jpg

Edited by Tim Cook
  • Like 3

Very nice! 
I’ve tried making a couple cala lilies but that was about it. Truthfully I have enough trouble turning piece of rectangular shaped steel into a knife shaped piece of steel, a rose may be beyond my abilities..

look forward to seeing what others here have made though

• Like 1

No hammer and anvil makes SOO much more than knifes!  I'm happy to see a post such as this.  The majority of my work is in the decorative side.  I made this floating sculpture a few years ago.

20200526_174248.jpg

I have many more flowers, and other things.

Edited by Daniel W

I, too, enjoy forging other things as much or more than knives, so I'll add a few pics:

Hood ornament when was raising a herd of highland cattle:2012_09030006.jpg

I love doing animal heads, I need to get back and do more:

20180608_142502.jpgDSCF6797.JPG

A canopy for my little truck before the accident:

1.jpg 2.jpg

9.jpg 13.jpg

And not all forging has to be artistic.  Here's a brake cylinder piston for my full sized diesel before the epilepsy diagnosis:

2013_05050008.jpg

Thanks for looking.  Hope that wasn't boring for ya.

• Like 4

On the contrary, that's great stuff!  Especially the canopy and hood ornament. I always meant to do a tailgate, but I'm just not creative enough in that way.  

Thanks Gerhard!  That's not the first time I've gotten a comment on the 'uniqueness'.  I did add one more panel to give the dogs more protection from sun and rain before the accident.  I like dong stuff like that.  I'm in the process of designing a basket/trailer hitch combination (hopefully there are no laws against pulling a #100 propane tank behind a bike...) for my current mode of transportation.  I'll post a pic when finished.

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1

Sorry about slow reply Brian.  Yes the stems are all copper.  The blossom is aluminum.  I cut threads on the stem and just couple washers and nuts holding it on.

That looks awesome BillyO!  Love seeing the artistic creations people can make!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Tim.  I appreciate the compliment. 

I'm looking for a picture of the gear shifter I forged out when the original broke.  5 minutes later and I would have been on a 55mph mountain highway...good thing I had some pipe available for the drive home.

22 hours ago, billyO said:

Thanks, Tim.  I appreciate the compliment. 

I'm looking for a picture of the gear shifter I forged out when the original broke.  5 minutes later and I would have been on a 55mph mountain highway...good thing I had some pipe available for the drive home.

I had mine snap off on a 4 lane rd luckly i had vicegrips in my trunk worked but you had to shift pretty straight and it rattled something horrible 

2 hours ago, dragoncutlery said:

luckly i had vicegrips in my trunk

Oy!  That would have been interesting, to say the least....

I like to do flowers - This is a small batch of 2 piece lilies. 2 pieces as the stems are sheet metal and the stems another.

20180618_152228.jpg

Never had a finished picture of this rose, this was after the rose cooled from shaping it up.

IMG_20180207_182554290.jpg

• Like 1

The idea, yeah use it to your liking.  All I would ask is to make yours unique in your own way. I try to do that as much as I can in the finished look although the process used is pretty much the same anyone would use.

Originally, my thought was to make the flower from one piece fanning out the peddle, dawning down the stock for the stem and stamen, folding it and weld the stem. A little too much work, but I still think I'll try it one day.