Hey everyone.  This is a skinner im making for a fellow bomb loader.  I added 20mm brass in the handle again and I think I'm getting better at that.  I forged the blade from a Toyota axle.  I still need to clean it up, sharpen it and make the sheath.  I have big ideas for the sheath but I'm not very good at leather work.  I'll post more pics this weekend when I make some progress on the sheath.

20201029_105243.jpg

20201029_115735.jpg

20201029_123358.jpg

20201029_152248.jpg

20201029_195235.jpg

20201031_132609.jpg

20201031_142749.jpg

20201101_094640.jpg

20201101_105733.jpg

20201101_105805.jpg

20201101_124015.jpg

20201102_193009.jpg

20201102_193030.jpg

20201102_193108.jpg

20201102_193148.jpg

• Like 3

Really cool Larry. I'm with Gerhard on this one. Never liked using guthooks, but I never thought of widening it out and making it more pronounced. Did the guthooks affect your heat treat plans at all? 

Tom

• Like 1

To be perfectly honest with you guys, I'm still pretty new and "eyeball" just about everything.  For the heat treat, I used a propane forge and focused the heat right below the blade bevel on the handle near the spine.  I let the heat travel up the blade about 80% on it's own.  I flipped the blade and let it sit again.  The tip of the hook and the edge itself are pretty thin so I was very careful to not let the fire hit it directly because it will go from the nice orange/yellow to yellow/white really really fast.  I meant to take a picture of the color right before the quench but I forgot, sorry about that.  I quenched in used motor oil and it file checked great so I chocked it up as a win!

For the hook, this isn't the first one I've tried.  The 2 before this one ended up being more decorative than actually usable.  I made this one so I could edge it very very close to the tip.  The friend I'm making this for is a hunter and I'm hoping this will work for him.  I already warned him that I haven't figured out gut hooks completely and constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Hindsight, I probably should have brought the spine angle down a little more above the hook to help avoid the tip of the blade from possibly cutting/knicking the insides of whatever he will be gutting.  Also, the spine above the hook looks like its edged but it is a false edge with the same idea of not cutting into the intestines and organs while hes gutting whatever hes using this on.  Another thing that I was thinking when I was putting in the hook was that if the rounded area is edged in a larger area, it should cut easier as its being pulled down.  I'll post more pictures as I go through this one and I will also relay the feedback I get after the gut hook is used and what it was used on.

Edited by Larry Pyne
typo

I have only one caveat and yes its the gut-hook lol. Most gut-hooks are kept small, the width of a round file, to keep the fingers from sliding into it if the knife is being supported by the spine. On this one, looks like a finger will be able to slide right in. Other than that, it looks nice! I like the brass accents, and the translucent scales really seem to pop.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, Larry Pyne said:

I quenched in used motor oil

Be careful there Larry. Motor oil is full of additives that may vaporise during the quench. Once used, who knows what’s in there. Warm canola oil for quenching is far safer and smells better too ;).

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Plus canola is a predictable quench speed.  Motor oil is hygroscopic (picks up moisture from the air, not that that's an issue in NV), which can radically affect the speed and violence of the quench.

• Like 1

This has been the most pain the butt sheath I have made.  I wanted it to be special since it is being made for a fellow bomb loader.  I failed 3 times and ended with this design.  The "2W1" is the job code or MOS for bomb loader.  Hes right handed and is made to be worn on his back, right side.  I hope he likes it.  I'll be mailing it soon as an early retirement gift.

20201107_050424.jpg

20201107_050524.jpg

20201107_050555.jpg

• Like 1