Pattern-welded bloomery iron spearhead

Hi. I just finished my latest project. It is a replica of an early medieval (Viking Age) spearhead. It is a reconstruction of the find from Ciepłe (Poland). It is completely made of bloomery iron. I have used 3 kinds of materials: soft low carbon iron smelted from hematite ore, high carbon steel I made in Aristotle furnace, and high phosphorus low carbon iron smelted from bog ore. The socket is a wrap and welded. The pattern-welded twist bars are welded on both sides of the spear core. To weld twist pattern billets I used high carbon steel and  P-iron, cutting edge is steel, socket and core is soft iron. 

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

• Like 20

I saw this on the Iron Smelters Page on FB. It was wicked then, and it is even better today with the bigger pics!

Truly an an admirable and impressive piece of work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, i started new huge project. The aim of this project is to forge at least 5 replicas of earlymedieval spearheads from Lednickie lake. I am going to use only bloomery iron and charcoal as a fuel. This project is realized in collaboration with archaeometallurgist, the results will be published.  

link to the catalog below.

http://studialednickie.pl/pobierzpdf,bron-drzewcowa-i-uzbrojenie-ochronne-z-ostrowa-lednickiego-giecza-i.pdf

some examples of spearheads:

spear_led.jpg

The first one i forged is spear catalog number 15. It has been forged of 5 elements.

Bez tytułu.png

To forge it i used low carbon iron (smelted from hematite ore), high phosphorus and arsenic iron smelted from bog ore and medium C iron/steel i made in Aristotle furnace.

rwer.JPG

kujh.JPG

gfgfgfgf.JPG

dff.JPG

The tutorial is available on my YT channel 

Edited by Maciek Tomaszczyk
  • Like 5

I'm repeating myself, but watching that last video made me want to run out and light the forge, but then I remember it's just you that makes forge welding look so easy B)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I'm repeating myself, but watching that last video made me want to run out and light the forge, but then I remember it's just you that makes forge welding look so easy B)

Forge welding is easy, if not, start to use smaller hammer:-).   

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...