Looking for a piece of brass or stainless steel for homemade etching machine

Just looking for a piece of brass or stainless steel for a homemade etching machine.  Maybe 1.5-2"x3" or so and 1/8" thick.  Not wanting to buy an entire bar stock just for this small piece.  Will obviously pay shipping and for the material as well.

Thank you.

Got some 2" x 1/8" copper if that would work.

I can cut to any length up to 6 or 7 inches.

10 minutes ago, Don Abbott said:

Got some 2" x 1/8" copper if that would work.

I can cut to any length up to 6 or 7 inches.

Forgive my ignorance but would that work for a home made etching machine?  I have only ever heard brass or stainless.  I appreciate the response!

It wouldn't be as clean as stainless, but more conductive than either.

The metal. Stainless stains-less and copper tends to discolor/patina pretty quick depending on what it's exposed to.

16 hours ago, Jacob Barlow said:

Gotcha.  Makes sense.  Would you be willing/able to cut me a 2"x1" piece of that copper and sell it me?  If not, as close as you are willing/able to do and I can trim/cut it on my band saw?

Check your messages.

14 hours ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

I am gonna wave the rookie flag here...what exactly is the stainless for? To make a stencil??

I gave up un the etching because I was only getting about 5 blades per stencil....but they were some kind of vinyl/plastic.

I am gonna use it on the end of a wooden block and do the actual etching with it.  There are several good stencil makers that can make you some stencils that will last a long time.  Vinyl won't last too many etchings.

• 2 weeks later...