I normally do my metal working in my 2 car garage, been doing in that way for years. Not at all the safest set up I could do, but it is the best I've got until I can make some kind of outbuilding. Since my metal work slowed down, I've done some simple improvements to make that space a little better. I usually work out of one side of the garage, my trouble is I'm sharing my smithing space with a car that moves only once every 6 to12 months.  Other than that, my garage fills up with debris - old dry leaves dirt etc. 

To prevent any accidental sparks (from welding grinding or even flying scale) and even the occasional flying punched tool I want to put up a welding blanket to keep the fancy car safer.  The more I think on it, I should probably put up a few to try and protect the forging area in general.  I've mentioned in others posts that I've heard more people get into a fire problem from grinder sparks and I'm looking to avoid that. As well as make sure I don't accidentally catch the car cover on fire.

The HF has a welding blankets for an affordable price :unsure: but I'm not sure over their quality been snagged by there items before.  Any other affordable recommendations?

(maybe this should be in the safety section but making the post I was thinking this is just another part of the tooling.)

Edited by Daniel W
Additon

I keep my 1950 pickup truck in one bay of my 1920's built 3 car garage and the other two are my shop.  I had thought about using cloth curtains treated with boric acid as a fire retardant to isolate the bay with the truck but instead built a wall.  Check out this link for some info;

http://www.americanborate.com/all-about-borates/borate-applications/borates-in-flame-retardants/

I do lots of grinding in my shop with an angle grinder and the spray goes everywhere.  I have to be careful about leaves, rags, paper or sawdust - basically tinder so it has to be cleaned up.  I have found that the sparks generally lose energy if they fly any distance and will not ignite stuff readily (except the aforementioned).  Concentrated grinder spray at a few inches will easily ignite things like the shirt I'm wearing so cotton only - no synthetics.

49 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Concentrated grinder spray at a few inches will easily ignite things like the shirt I'm wearing so cotton only - no synthetics.

In my experience, grinder sparks will easily ignite out to 8 feet.  Don't know how much further, as the wall was there :-)

I know the logical thing is to just move the car or find another place for the car. I'm unfortunately a little hemmed in and running out of space.  Got plenty of property to build something, but with this years house repairs it's out of my budget to do.

As I've been waiting on replies, I've been looking for info.  And so far, I've gathered that the welding blankets made of fiberglass is probably not what I'm looking for.  There's a range of materials out there and I've got to look into them a little more. 

I have a lot of "blasting mat" on hand (a heavy yellow tarp used in the coal mines to keep shrapnel down).  However that stuff does not look like it will stop hot stuff, weld splatter or hot borax if I were to start forge welding at the home shop.  Probably catch a flying chisel though.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, Gerald Boggs said:

In my experience, grinder sparks will easily ignite out to 8 feet.  Don't know how much further, as the wall was there :-)

I have experienced this out to 10 ft.  It was a concentrated grinding spark though.  Good thing I had a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher