W I P A Kukri and a Templar knights dagger

C&P from the africa Hunting forum

There is not much "Africa" about these two but I thought to do a work in progress for them both. @Dr Ray asked me to do something a bit different but left what that might be up to me and then after I had spent a couple of hours (hours lol) trying to think of something different that would also be a challenge, he started a thread and asked the forum what he should get me to make.
He started a thread in the generqal chat section and asked the forum what he should get me to make and said
"I rang Garry and now I’m keeping him awake at nights!!
I asked him to design a display knife that is not the usual run of the mill."

@Ridgewalker sugested a Kukri and Dr Ray liked the idea but I said I had been thinking of a Templar Knights dagger and Dr Ray said to do them both so that is where this all started.

The Kukri has traditionally been made from leaf springs for as long as leaf springs have been available so that was what I decided to do as well and the dagger also needed thicker steel than what I had on hand so while I was going to use the leaf spring, it made sense to make both at the same time or at least do the initial forging together.
So this was the starting place

IMG_20201029_162205.jpg

a bit of heat and I could straighten much of the bend and cut the spring into the two halves

IMG_20201029_162127.jpg

• Like 1

I am keeping a bit of video and will upload it later in the project but while I was doing the thinning and a distal taper to both pieces I noticed the hammer tempo had slowed and upon checking, found the final drive pulley was slipping on the shaft. It had only ever had the two grub screws to tighten the pulley center to the shaft and there were no 1/2 in grub screws in town so it was a quick run down to Milton (1/2 hr each way) for another screw so I could get everything tightened down again. That put a bit of a hole in the day but I did get the two blades thinned and a distal taper forged in so I could mark out the patterns on them.

IMG_20201109_093006.jpg

IMG_20201109_094707.jpg

The kukri needed to be bent to follow the bend of the pattern so with that done, the angle grinder was used to remove much of the surplus .

IMG_20201109_151639.jpg

With the pattern laid out on the blank tio check it fitted, I was able to get at least the dagger ground flat and true with it being .250 and the ricasso and .135 at the tip.

IMG_20201109_145532.jpg

IMG_20201109_161952.jpg

IMG_20201109_193537.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Have the tangs to attend to and I can get to some grinding. They both weigh in at a lb for one and 15 oz for the other

IMG_20201110_105313.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
2 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

A Kukri is on my list for "someday"..................someday when I'm qualified to make one! ;)

You are assuming that I am.

• Haha 1

Indeed.  I've only sold three full-sized knives in my "extra long career" as a knife maker.  (though I AM working on two more!) I'd say that makes you a high ranking expert!

• Haha 1

Finished the grind on the Templar knights dagger this afternoon and rather pleased how it turned out. I may just re-make the kukri as there are some aspects of it that I am not pleased with.

IMG_20201111_141628.jpg

IMG_20201111_153246.jpg

• Like 1

Video has finally uploaded of the last few minutes of titivating the lines on the blade. have the 220grit Trizact belt running at about 30% speed so with it going this slow I have very good controll which allows for carefull taking of a little bit here and a little bit there to get everything straight and true

Handsanding all done and looking at the guard design. Have a length of inch by inch brass to cut it from. IMG_20201112_134305.jpg

IMG_20201112_140121.jpg

IMG_20201112_142544.jpg

IMG_20201112_152254.jpg

Some more progress on the Templar Knights dagger with a spacer added, the guard fully roughed into shape and the pommel defined.

Edited by Garry Keown

Doing a beautiful job Garry. What type of stones do you use? I use all gray stones (silicon carbide) but I see you have a couple of different colors there.

50 minutes ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Doing a beautiful job Garry. What type of stones do you use? I use all gray stones (silicon carbide) but I see you have a couple of different colors there.

Thanks Bill.  I bought a set of stones off amazon and found I was using the 220 grit  stone the most and on aliexpress there is sets of 10 in the one grit  for US$27 so I got in a set in 240grit which accounts for the different colours. (yes I know :( - buying from there, but I couldnt find anywhere else that I could get  single grit stone/s without buying a full set 120-1000 grits) 

4 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Alan told me about this site. Don't know how expensive it would be to ship to you, but you can check it out.

https://www.congresstools.com/

Do you find yourself using one type more than the others or are they all about the same?

That is a great link thank you. i have an agent in the US so when I want things from a number of different sources I get them all sent to him and he puts them all in the one package which makes a great deal of different to shipping costs. 

As far as the one type it is more like the one grit that I use most in that the 240 and 320 under normal circumstances then go back to 220 paper and go up through the grits to 600. Thes little stones have decreased my handsanding time by at least 1/2 and paper use by 70% (approx). 

The set I got from the USwere a reddish colour while the ones from "elsewhere" were more yellow and the different colours you see are is staining from use.

A bit more tidying of guard, spacer and pommel btu at a standstill tilll the handle material arrives from the US

Buffalo Horn handle shaped and fitted with the spirals marked in and have the initial filie marking done.

IMG_20201122_153547.jpg

IMG_20201122_161838.jpg

IMG_20201122_163821.jpg

• Like 2