Second blade in progress

Learned a lot from making my first knife. Mostly from well established people from this site. Overall length so far is 9.75 inches. Made from A36 Steel. Bevels are more or less even on both sides. Not heat treated yet because I still have some improvements to make. The belt sander has made the process much easier but I think the bastard will file is still the best way to establish the bevels. 

Resized_20201111_121311.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JeffM said:

just a heads up...A36 steel is low carbon steel and will not harden

As Alan mentioned in my previous post. It is hit or miss in regards to whether or not a heat treat takes with A36. This is from the same section of oil tank that my other knife was made from. Even if it doesn't harden I am still thrilled to be getting the practice in. The feedback has been incredible and I have officially become obsessed with improving my technique.  I really do appreciate the heads up. Thank you for looking out.

Edited by Stephen Ray
On 10/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Ah, good old A36 "mild" steel that can be anything.  B)  It oftens hardens a bit when quenched, with the key phrases being "often" and "a bit."  

By "a bit" I mean Rc 40 maximum.  Better than nothing, but actual blade steels are Rc 55 to Rc 62.  ;)

For an emergency tool it's usable, but there's better stuff out there.  But yes, it's practice.   And it's harder than the wrought iron most Roman knives were made from, so there's that.  The Romans would have loved the stuff, actually...  :lol: