Just got myself a 2”x72” grinder. First time using one with a platen like this. The only other 2x72 experience I have was with a homemade job with just a drive wheel and 10” contact wheel. Not mine. I must say this grinder has already proved to be worth it. I ground this blade today starting out as forged. It’s one I’ve had laying around awhile. Still need to file to crisp up the plunge lines. But this only took about 15 minutes of grinding. Still some work to do though. Not many issues with setting this thing up. Need to get it properly bolted down. The tracking is a bit touchy but this is miles away from the 2”x36” bench grinder attachment I’ve had for some years. Could never have done this on that one!

Jon

DF182588-D444-49C4-8798-3BC2E5DE0D11.jpeg

DD7E6759-9C28-4846-A038-A3AEDDC71C14.jpeg

I love my Ameribrade grinder. Those guys really think through the engineering of the stuff they make. I just ordered their surface grinder attachment. Was one of the first 100 to order and it is supposed to be showing up sometime here soon.

Touchy tracking is usually a sign that a wheel isn't rounded off properly or that the wheels aren't perfectly in line. You can use a gauge to check to see if the wheels have a proper radius. If one of them is a bit too flat, run a layer or two of electrician's tape around the middle for a quick fix till you can afford a new wheel. You can also check to see that each wheel is the same distance out from the side plate. If one is a bit off, add a washer or two till you bring it up to level with the rest.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, Brian Myers said:

Touchy tracking is usually a sign that a wheel isn't rounded off properly or that the wheels aren't perfectly in line. You can use a gauge to check to see if the wheels have a proper radius. If one of them is a bit too flat, run a layer or two of electrician's tape around the middle for a quick fix till you can afford a new wheel. You can also check to see that each wheel is the same distance out from the side plate. If one is a bit off, add a washer or two till you bring it up to level with the rest.

Hey, Brian. My platen is a little bit off. I’ll tinker with it . Quality belts seem to help though. 

Jon

18 hours ago, Jon Bishop said:

Bill, I would love to see a review on that. 

Will definitely do so. Still waiting though. I think they were overwhelmed by the response they got from the first 100 pre-sale.:)

I see that you have one of their newer models. I have one of the older "classics". I have never had an issue with tracking. Slap the belt on, give a few manual pulls to check and let-er rip. If you do find something wrong with any of your wheels (or any of the parts really), contact them. They will probably make it right as I'm pretty sure they make in house most if not all their own wheels and attachments.