A Fishing Story

Went out near home fishing today. The boat ramp is 25 mins from home. 

Trolled for 3 hours with nothing and the day seemed to be a fizzer.

I was on my own and was trolling 2 rods and trying to cast into snags with a third rod. I was getting tangled and snagged until I decided to stop trying everything and make a decision on one thing and stick to it.

I put a little lure on and started just casting the to every nook and cranny and started catching fish. Just another case of less is more.

Ended up with 1 Barramundi, 1 Mangrove Jack,  2 pikey bream and about 8 cod.

Just thought I would share a fishing story. 

Love to hear of any fishing you guys have been up to and what you catch in your waters.

7B3ADFBA-460D-42BB-9B31-9E9FB3BFB6C3.jpeg

F7FFB8BC-5427-4079-8996-4894AF45574B.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 3

Hi guys. Just had dinner. There is something that’s just cool about putting food on your table that you caught and cooked yourself.

7D4CF3B5-1CF1-4418-8415-913AD29E14C4.jpeg

622DF635-29B8-47DF-90AD-328546DDFAC2.jpeg

• Like 2

If you guys lived closer I would do you up a fish feast and try my hardest to find Gerald a large snake or crocodile.

Now I’m getting hungry!

There sits the mighty “Silver Catfish” an I be her Captain!

A cod I did not get to eat.  There is always a bigger fish!

49F9DB55-6C22-4FD8-8156-BC9114EF8801.jpeg

37D1952A-9242-4957-BA18-00A12DC10382.jpeg

• Like 3

That reminds me of a story a fellow corpsman told me about a day of fishing he had.  He was having a pretty good day catching bass when suddenly the fish stopped hitting on his lure so he decided to pack it in.  He pulled up his stringer and found that he had the nicest stringer of fish heads he ever saw.  He never sensed that he had an alligator having lunch at his expense.

Doug

• Like 2

Anyone fishing tailwater below a dam? I live 0.5 miles from a new ramp on the South Holston River in East TN. Have an outboard jet and trying to learn how to fish this river. Last fishing I did was for bass 30 years ago. A 2400 cfm river is a whole different ballgame. People are visiting here from all over the country, it's supposed to be one of the top trout fisheries in the East. Most are fly fishing using drift boats.  I've been having good luck just throwing minnow shaped plugs. 

Random video showing what a nice place this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6OCye6ogQ

Another one showing some of the big browns we have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LstLXwRWcaw I haven't found but one of those so far and it escaped.

Edited by Matt Walker
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Dude!  Don't show that, they'll all want to move here!  :ph34r: :lol:

If you swing by that ramp mid day you'll see, Word is already out! They were parked in the grass yesterday. Tags indicate mostly NC but I see vehicles from everywhere. Very few TN usually.

23 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

Anyone fishing tailwater below a dam? I live 0.5 miles from a new ramp on the South Holston River in East TN. Have an outboard jet and trying to learn how to fish this river. Last fishing I did was for bass 30 years ago. A 2400 cfm river is a whole different ballgame. People are visiting here from all over the country, it's supposed to be one of the top trout fisheries in the East. Most are fly fishing using drift boats.  I've been having good luck just throwing minnow shaped plugs. 

Random video showing what a nice place this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6OCye6ogQ

Another one showing some of the big browns we have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LstLXwRWcaw I haven't found but one of those so far and it escaped.

Wonderful place. Would love to try fly fishing.

I don't have a fishing story but a boat story:   When I decided I wanted to fish our river some people told me about people building river boats by using a jet-ski drive in a jon boat. Did a little research and too quickly bought a jet-ski and a 14-48 jon boat and went to work. It turned out pretty good and I decided to take it to the lake for a try out before it was really completed. Just a temporary board to sit on. A small crowd gathered on the ramp to see what was going to happen. In the crowd was my wife taking video and a man with a boy around 4 years old. 

Having never been around jet-skis, one of the things I didn't account for is the forward-reverse mechanism needs a positive lock to hold the cup that slides in front of the jet to put it in reverse. There was enough friction in the cable to hold it up for a while. Was recording 40 mph on my phone gps, happy guy, until I hit enough chop to cause the reverse cup to drop. We are talking about a 14 foot jon boat with 70 hp engine. At 40 mph when it is instantly put in reverse it's near the equivalent of hitting a tree. I slid and rolled from the back to the front of the boat. Lucky the throttle was on the steering stick and the engine went to idle. 

The good part was my wife wasn't videoing at the time. The funny part was my wife said the little boy was pulling on the man's leg saying " Pappa Santa needs Help"! 

Here is a video of the boat after it was finished https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W13ylMiVyY  Near the end you can see why the young boy was concerned about Santa.

There is a build video on my channel as well if you find things like that interesting. It shows the redesigned direction control locking system and the steering/throttle set-up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

I don't have a fishing story but a boat story:

You don’t need a fishing story!!!!

I have not heard of such a boat before but it sure flys. What a lovely looking river too. I am taking my son out fishing tomorrow.

Where I live in Tennessee, our second biggest fish is the Blue Catfish, some catches easily exceed 100 pounds. They are my favorite fish to catch, they are like a bull when they get a hook into them and hug the bottom like crazy. But I still remember the day one snapped my line. I was actually just sitting on a dock fishing for Bluegill, a type of sunfish which averages a couple of pounds for a "good one". I like to catch a fingerling or two and use them for fresh bait. I had my line out and was talking to some kid who had walked up, when my rod twitched. I looked and my line had went under a log over three feet long that was under the water. I thought a crayfish had grabbed my bait and dragged it into its burrow. So, I gave my rod a sharp tug to snatch it back, and the log started swimming away! My horrible mistake was that I had the drag cranked down too tight for the 12 pound test I was using...the line snapped and that big beautiful fish just swam away without even noticing. I still feel like crying when i think about it lol!!!

Edited by Brian Myers
  • Like 2

OK, I've been tempted to post these for the last few years every time one of y'all start bragging about your fishing prowess.  I literally caught these two fish back to back a few years ago.

Keep in mind that I live in a region where a body of water over an acre or two is called a lake :rolleyes:

First a mighty bluegill:

IMAG0113.jpg

Then a massive large mouth on the next cast...

IMAG0114.jpg

Do you have any idea how hard it is to set a hook when it is bigger than the fish :lol:

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Bummer about that catfish Brian M and Brian D, that’s micro fishing but it’s still fishing!! 

Yeah, and I bet it didn't cost him much either. 

The going rate for a guided day trip (drift-boat) on the river near me  is around $450 per day and I'm told they expect $100 tip when the trip is over. 

On 12/1/2020 at 7:03 AM, Matt Walker said:

Yeah, and I bet it didn't cost him much either. 

The going rate for a guided day trip (drift-boat) on the river near me  is around $450 per day and I'm told they expect $100 tip when the trip is over. 

Wow. You could get a kayak for that and give it a go yourself. That being said I am not sure where you are and what waters and if a kayak would be appropriate. I sure can’t use one where I am.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:16 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to set a hook when it is bigger than the fish :lol:

You caught bait!