some time ago I made this support and I must say that I find it very convenient and useful.
it is assembled and disassembled in few seconds and allows you to fix the grinder to the vice and work by holding the piece with two hands. so it is possible to be much more precise especially if you work on small pieces.
you can mount all the discs and use the tool to grind, cut, wire-brush, smooth, sharpen, polish, sandpaper, remove rust, strip paint, etc. etc.

in addition it allows to hold the grinder in the vice in many positions

here you can find the video and inside there are all the details and mesurements if someone wants to build it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuiQPC4EwY

angle grinder support thumb YT.png

yes, it is safe in my opinion. is an angle grinder that has 11k rpm so you have to pay attention at your eyes, fingers, lugs, and so on but the support is solid and once it is firmly attached at the vice holds the grinder safely. you are right about sitting in line with the disc. it is important to use good discs and never take the grinder guard off.

2 hours ago, loneronin said:

yes, it is safe in my opinion

My cringe moment happened when you sharpened the knife with edge up.  You must have much steadier hands than me to do this regularly. Although I'll admit to never trying this on a flap-wheel.

that is only an example on the things you can do using this stand. I have also a 2x72 belt grinder and for sharpening knives I use that machine. but if you have an ugly knife, an axe, a billhook, even a hoe, this support can be a cheap and easy-to-make option for everyone.