What steels for Damasus ring?

Hi all! My son asked me to make him a Damascus wedding ring. I make lots of Damascus but not any that won't rust. I was wondering what steels work best for Damascus rings. I read that 304L and 316L are used a lot, but is that all they use? I would think there must be some steel that won't etch like the 15N20 that they use to stay shiny, but can't find that info on the net. Does anyone here know and willing to share? Thanks in advance.

My Lady Wife wore a damascus wedding ring for many years (until arthritis made it impossible).  It was 1080 and 15n20 and it never rusted.  Skin oils and daily wear kept rust away.  It did change color a bit as her body chemistry shifted, but rust was never a problem

Geoff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Geoff Keyes said:

My Lady Wife wore a damascus wedding ring for many years (until arthritis made it impossible).  It was 1080 and 15n20 and it never rusted.  Skin oils and daily wear kept rust away.  It did change color a bit as her body chemistry shifted, but rust was never a problem

Geoff

Wow, interesting.. I never would have guessed. I figured the skin oils would cause it to rust. This would certainly make things easier.Thanks!

I helped my daughter make a mokume ring a couple of years ago.  We couldn't afford to use precious metals for the mokume, but did make a sterling silver liner to keep her finger from turning green.  That was pretty easy to do.

I got our wedding rings (and her engagement ring) from J Arthur.  We both love them.  Beautiful stainless with silver liners.  

Have you seen @Robert Burns pinned thread?  He may have some feedback since that was 4 years ago.  

I'm pretty sure this would work for a damascus ring, but I have not done the process myself.  You  would have to do the process hot, but that what steel is all about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=making+a+coin+ring&oq=making+a+coin+ring&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3j0i22i30l4.6656j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_4H7GX5yjKqey0PEPsrgL12

Geoff

Its worth remembering that the nickel in some damascus steel can cause real problems with alergic reactions or creating a naickel allergy if worn for too long. so carbon steel damascus would be ilegal to use and sell as rings or jewlery in the uk (no idea about america but the problem is real). some of the stainless steels contain nickel as well but its not free to react...

Im looking for someone to make a gold / gold wedding ringe for me ...any racomandations would be good.

• Like 1

Well, I've got a 15 layer stainless steel Damascus block all welded up and ready to forge weld. We'll see If I an make it happen. Wish me luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I had partial luck with my SS billet. It all welded together except the very center didn't weld. When I cut a slab off it, and ground it and etched it, you can see a line in the very center where the two layers didn't weld together. All the other layers are solid, except the top .030" thick layer of SS I had on the outside. I came to the conclusion that after the foil burned off, the thin layer overheated and curled up a little and didn't stick when pressed. The thin layer on the bottom welded fine. Conclusion; put the thicker layers on the outside.

I must not have let it soak quite enough, or had enough heat. My forge only got up to 2150°. I think I need to get another 50° out of it to be good. I need to build a forge stand that gives me the ability to block the front of the forge too. Right now I cannot block it, so it's wide open. I only have enough room to block the back.

Also, the high temp SS foil I bought and used, burned through and fell off the billet around 2150°. This was the higher temp of the two SS foils available too. Not sure what to do about that.

SS-001.jpg

SS-002.jpg

SS-003.jpg

Edited by Paul Carter
14 minutes ago, dragoncutlery said:

looks like a good first go

Thanks! I am going to try again but maybe I'll try heating it in my HT oven this next time. It will go to 2200°.