Spacer package help

Evening Hivemind.
So I seem to have painted myself into a corner with a hunter I’m making. I decided to try my hand at scrimshaw. The rabbit looks a bit, well, rabid. I thought the pheasant came out okay. Anyway I didn’t want to make the bolster package and then mess up on the scrimshaw so I decided to do the scrimshaw first. Problem is: how do I now work down the brass and fibre spacers (edges bent over a bit from grinding in the photos, they are flat though) to the antler profile without risking erasing the scrimshaw. Things aren’t glued up yet so I thought: remove, scribe, file, re-assemble or tape over and hope.

Does anyone have any pointers or other ideas? Thanks.

9D033F69-C0FB-4902-A56E-5B12BD9B0EE8.jpeg   EDA0FEC8-99EB-4B47-9E2C-BF19A0BD3147.jpeg

Edited by Charles dP
  • Like 2

I'd say what you're thinking is a good start, and when glued up, finish by hand, and use the extra time involved as a reminder not to do that again.  

Looks really good, btw, especially if that's a first attempt at scrimshaw.

• Thanks 1

Thanks BillyO

2nd (rabbit) and 3rd (pheasant). 1st was to see if I could... a demented duck of some kind :D

F16868AE-55EC-4C5D-B0F1-1C1BE7284753.jpeg

• Haha 1

if you put tape on the file it might work better than tape on the workpiece, you can file through tape on the workpiece but if the tape is stuck to the file it wont be cut. its what i do for this kind of thing, but because of the curves on that area your knife i would use a needle file and tape might not stick to a tiny little file. tape on the workpiece will work but be careful as alan said, it only takes one bad stroke to go through the tape.

your looks good for a first few tries, ill have to give it a shot someday.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Jake, I liked the museum finish idea but the pith was quite close to one edge. I decided to finish the blade and brass bolster. Then I glued it up and worked with sandpaper wrapped or pinched around a flat needle file as needed. The designs were taped up with masking tape. I kept a finger on that to act as a stop so don’t have much of a fingerprint left on the tip of my thumb and index finger :rolleyes:. Came out okay but lesson learned for next time. Thanks again.

A25C67C3-8A0B-4861-BD81-C811A4269733.jpeg

D0A263BD-6B6C-407D-885F-10AEE24D362F.jpeg

Edited by Charles dP
PS the pin is even. The photo and position of the heads aren’t.
  • Like 3