73 cm (29 inch) patern-welded Viking Age spear-head

I decided to forge the longest early-medieval spearhead ever found in Poland. Its original find was found in the Lednica lake in 1961. It has a octagonal socket. The blade is pattern-welded (four twist bars on each side). To forge it I used 19 cent. wrought iron and steel. It took 6 full day work days and. I used 120 kg of coke. 

here you can find complete cataloque of spears from Lednica lake: http://studialednickie.pl/wiadomosci/biblioteka-studiow-lednickich/66096ae1c4bcf6d985f3fd81714fdd9a.pdf

Zrzut ekranu 2020-12-01 174307.png

7.png

2.JPG

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

IMG_20201201_113440.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Maciek Tomaszczyk
  • Like 12

Wonderful! The video you put together has answered many questions I had about how you did this! The way you joined the edge bar, and then bent it to match the core of the spear is simply genius. Thank you for putting together such a great video! I very much want to make another spear, it has been on my list of things to make for a while, and I think you have inspired me!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

I would make me wonder how spear heads like that were used.  They really do look like a sword on the end of a pole and it makes me wonder if they were used like one.

Doug

There is a plan to test this spear in terms of different techniques of battle fights.

Incredible work. Your video was inspiring, educational and also very well done and the end product is just wonderfull. Thanks for sharing.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:11 AM, Maciek said:

There is a plan to test this spear in terms of different techniques of battle fights.

I'm curious to see how far you can throw it! That's a very good looking blade.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Oh, definitely. B)  I need a second, of course.  Jeroen?  Emiliano?  Owen? Pieter-Paul? Do you smell smoke?

I can smell the smoke all the way on the other side of europe ;). It doesn't get more firebeardy than a sword length pattern welded bloom spear.

43 minutes ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

I can smell the smoke all the way on the other side of europe ;). It doesn't get more firebeardy than a sword length pattern welded bloom spear.

Agreed.  It crosses the Atlantic as well!

Maciek, by the powers of the board, you are hereby inducted into the Brotherhood of Fiery Beards!  You may add a flaming beard to your avatar to let all know. 

Or I can do it next time I'm in my office.  No Photoshop here...B)

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Agreed.  It crosses the Atlantic as well!

Maciek, by the powers of the board, you are hereby inducted into the Brotherhood of Fiery Beards!  You may add a flaming beard to your avatar to let all know. 

Or I can do it next time I'm in my office.  No Photoshop here...B)

Thank you very much that you guys appreciate my works and my skills. This is quite a big surprise for me, I am so happy about it. Alan, if you can please change my avatar. Can you also change my nick name to my full name, Maciek Tomaszczyk if possible. Thanks again.

• Like 3