Deer antler scale question

This is my first attempt at using deer antler for scales. Once it's all done...do you seal it with anything? With the bumps on the antler I was planning on taking most of the off but leaving some color. Taking down more than what it is currently. This is a wip at the moment. 

Thanks again...

20201206_131406.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you.  I didn't stabilize it,  but rather hogged out 90% of the marrow. I'llfill it with G Flex epoxy. It's an older antler and your right...it's pretty tough stuff.

I've used a bit of wax to shine up antler, but it doesn't really need anything.

One tip I learned somewhere is that you can use a little bit of brown leather dye on a rag to make the white sanded parts blend in better with the bark.

• Like 1

Potassium permanganate brings even badly weathered old antlers back to the (or close to) the original brown.

11 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

Potassium permanganate brings even badly weathered old antlers back to the (or close to) the original brown.

This is my favorite.  Just don't freak out when they turn a bright shade of purple first.  It'll fade to brown in a few minutes as it oxidizes :)

• Haha 1

My EDC is elk antler, pretty much the same thing.  I slab off the sides of the big main beams.  This one is 10 (ish) years old and I do carry it every day.  All I've done to it is buffed in carnuba wax and hand wear.

IMG_20200912_111606595 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20200912_111602020 (Medium).jpg

G

• Like 1