Damascus Hunter

I've had a WIP going on this knife in Design and Critique for the last few weeks.  I finally managed to finish it up this weekend.

DSC_0004_edited.jpg

DSC_0006_edited.jpg

DSC_0007_edited.jpg

20201206_180600.jpg

It's two 42 layer billets of 15n20/1084 sandwiched over a 1084 core.  Handle is stabilized black walnut and brass fittings.  I tried something different with the guard that turned out pretty well.  I think I'll be doing it more in the future. 

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.  Thanks for looking!

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 7

I had thought there might be more visual evidence of that carefully fitted bolster handle connection from the side but the reasonably squareish top and bottom keep it hidden from the side view where a more rounded treatment would have revealed a lot more of its intricate fitting. That withstanding it is a very well designed and finished little hunter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Garry.  I was a little disappointed myself, but I didn't want to get too crazy as it's actually a fairly narrow handle as it is.  I was afraid that it would disappear in my hand if I rounded the top off much more than I did.

Hi Alex, I also agree more rounded frame would probably reveal more curvature. 
But there’s also a risk of going too small in girth, finding a hidden void or just getting all the curvature even/ balanced.

I think it’s different and certainly creative!

The San Mai is really awesome, the patterns. turned out really nice.......

I gotta try something in the same vein, as I should do more pattern welded stuff like everyone else keeps putting out.

Gary LT

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  It isn't perfect by any means, but it came out pretty well.  Brass and copper probably aren't the best guard material to do this with.  The buffer had a tendency to burn the sharp corner off.  Mild steel or stainless would probably hold up better.

The pic isn't the greatest, but here you go Josh.

20201208_061613.jpg

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1