The "Avenger" A Roman Gladius and Scabbard

Here is a recent 1st Century Roman Mainz Gladius i created and call "The Avenger" (Style) That is my own "Name" of the style of the hilt.  the "V" that is hand carved in the Guard, gives me the name.

It is totally Historically Accurate and based on Archeological Discoveries and measurements other than the blade is made of 1095.

IMG_7015.jpeg

A 1st Century Mainz Gladius with historically accurate Gladius and Scabbard.  I call this style "The Avenger."

IMG_7017.jpeg

Gladius and Scabbard

IMG_7028.jpeg

The smooth draw... with a sheep's wool lined scabbard.

IMG_7032.jpeg

The "Avenger"  hand carved hilt.  "V" for "VICTORY???" The hilt is hand carved based directly on archeological discoveries.

The Pommel and Guard are hand carved from European Black Walnut.  The Grip is hand carved from Italian Olive Wood.

IMG_7054.jpeg

IMG_7050.jpeg

I create everything by hand here in my shop.  The Blades, Hilts, Scabbards, Leather Work, Brass Hardware, And Plated.

IMG_7047.jpeg

IMG_7039.jpeg

The Scabbard... Hand Repousse~ and Chased Roman Eagle "Aquila" with a snake in it's beak. 

Edited by Patrick Pointer
Photo Spacing and captions
  • Like 7

Beautiful work! True works of art, the sheath and sword.  Not sure if it’s my imagination but the light reflection makes those grinds look like they are hollow/concave.....to me anyway.  Is it hollow ground and were the originals?  Thanks,  Clint

• Like 1