First hidden tang chef knife

I've been fighting with this knife for several days.  As the title says, this is my first attempt at a chef knife with a hidden tang.  The boster is the back end of a 20mm round.  The handle is a piece of maple a friend gave me.  I burnt it with a torch and finished it with some linseed oil.  I tried to be fancy and tape off the edge and patina the spine black.  I tried the mustard hamon first but it was very light.  I think I need to leave it longer than an hour or try a lighter coat.  I didnt like it so I sanded it off.  I will try it again later.  All in all I think it turned out OK.  I'll keep trying new things and hopefully get better as I keep at it.

20201216_135113.jpg

20201216_143704.jpg

20201216_154415.jpg

20201216_170958.jpg

20201216_171009.jpg

20201217_103714.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Larry Pyne said:

.  I tried to be fancy and tape off the edge and patina the spine black.  I tried the mustard hamon first but it was very light.  I think I need to leave it longer than an hour or try a lighter coat.  I didnt like it so I sanded it off.  I will try it again later.

I'm a bit confused...the last picture looks AWESOME!!! (and those who know me well know I don't like or use superlatives very much)

Is this the later try?  If not, IMO you should leave it as is....

Edited by billyO
  • Thanks 1

I let the dabbed mustard sit for @50 minutes.  It wasn't too dark so I sanded it off and did the black patina.  I taped the blade and just used an exacto knife to cut the design.  I'm not a huge fan of the final product but I'm done fighting with this knife and I'm moving on.  I don't think that I will try partial patinas again. 

11 hours ago, Larry Pyne said:

It wasn't too dark so I sanded it off and did the black patina.

Alan already asked this, but I'm curious, too.

Its some black patina I bought from Amazon a while back. It mixes 9 to 1 with water and starts working immediately.  I let blades sit for 5 minutes.  I taped this knife and cut out the design before the patina.

20201218_091539.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...