does anyone have any information about a bronze age celtic sword called a falcetta?(sp) i came across a reference a few years ago, possibly in a barry cunliffe book, with a picture ; it looks sort of like a kopis or pointed kukri, seems to have about an 18" blade, and a thin handle/tang which wraps around the hand as a guard. i believe they were used on the iberian penninsula c.500BC. Looking at jake powning's seaxes put me in mind of this, and i was wondering if it would be possible to track some kind of connection between the two weapons. (have just designed a seax with this kind of blade shape and am looking for some historical support!)

cheers,

Jake

Falcata. :)

Also made in iron / steel.

The falcata is a cool weapon form. I'm not a big expert on them but have a simple monosteel version in the works. Will probably be a while before I can get back to it, though.

Anyhoo, there is a thread or 2 over on another swordrelated board with some good drawings and discussions of the falcata. You can go on to www.myarmoury.com and do a search and come up with some good insights...

If you need to know, according to what I have read before, the shape was also influenced by the Pre-Ptolemaic Kopesh (Egyptian).

It's one lovely shape. :)