Not a Bowie but...

Howdy...

Been slowly trying to recover from all this covid infringements on my supplies and materials... so decided to get my mind cleared of all the stuff that has happened ion 2020...Wanted to make a Bowie and well..it didn't turn out quite the way I intended.. This is what happens when my feeble old mind starts to wander off...

19" recurved blade,  in a feather pattern,  welded in 1070 and L-6 with some meteoric iron thrown in just because I can.. Twin fullers  (which are not all that much fun to forge in on a recurve..I tell ya that..) Forged phosphor bronze mounts and a nice piece of antelope horn on the grip,,  Overall length 25 3/4"..  

All in all didn't turn out  all that bad..This one goes up on my site this evening..

JPH

DSC06368A.jpg

DSC06372A.jpg

DSC06378A.jpg

DSC06379A.jpg

• Like 12

Well, There are swords, short swords, and long swords. There are Bowies, small Bowies (aka Gentleman's Bowies) and now there are Long Bowies.

That's a fine piece of work sir.

Alan:

No...no iguanas yet and I have the slow cooker ready too!!  Did see a couple way up in the trees a couple days back but they had no intentions as far as I could tell  about coming down.. could knock them down with the blowgun though if I wanted to...

As far as this new one..the real trick was getting that antelope  to grow his horn the exact way I needed it to be..

JPH

Great work on that one, it sure turned out something special. Would love to know your trick you used on that antelope...I have a few buffalo wandering about behind home that would come in handy for too.:)

RT:

As far as the horn goes..you have to get on the critter's good side and really convince them that by growing their horns to you needs will give them a certain degree of immortality..

Now the best way that I know to get this through to them is doing the following...After you explain that you are their key to immortality...This may take a good eal of alcohol for you as well as the critter,,,,after that is established...  

You need to strip down to a diaper..smear shortening all over you and then sit in a bathtub full of lime jello and while it sets.. stat to sing:

"Mammy's Lil' Baby likes shortnin..shortnin,, Mammy's lil baby likes shortin' bread" all the  while you are beating on the pot that is on your head with a wooden spoon...and once the jell-o sets you should be done... Yes sir..that is how I got him to do it... That is my story and I AM sticking to it..

Now your results may vary cause you are down under so..maybe you might want to to say crumpets or ??

Hope this helps...

JPH

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, JPH said:

RT:

As far as the horn goes..you have to get on the critter's good side and really convince them that by growing their horns to you needs will give them a certain degree of immortality..

Now the best way that I know to get this through to them is doing the following...After you explain that you are their key to immortality...This may take a good eal of alcohol for you as well as the critter,,,,after that is established...  

You need to strip down to a diaper..smear shortening all over you and then sit in a bathtub full of lime jello and while it sets.. stat to sing:

"Mammy's Lil' Baby likes shortnin..shortnin,, Mammy's lil baby likes shortin' bread" all the  while you are beating on the pot that is on your head with a wooden spoon...and once the jell-o sets you should be done... Yes sir..that is how I got him to do it... That is my story and I AM sticking to it..

Now your results may vary cause you are down under so..maybe you might want to to say crumpets or ??

Hope this helps...

JPH

I think I may just be able to pull this off. Just might have to find a wooden spoon but the rest I think I can do. Thanks JPH your secret is safe.