Haust Gjalda Scabbard WIP

With much encouragement from @Brian Dougherty  I am making a traditional viking scabbard for Haust Gjalda.

Got everything glued up today. The inside is felt lined and is a good tight fit. 

I am still messing around with designs for the  leather. Right now I am leaning towards the boars head design. I did some research on Freyr and according to google the boar is Freyr's chosen animal, and the rune is his symbol. However, given the story with this knife a theme not connected with Freyr would be ok to. There are a couple of other desings I like too that I will include in this post. Thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

20201231_103148.jpg

20201231_112353_HDR.jpg

20201231_165441_HDR.jpg

20201231_211944.jpg

20201231_211951.jpg

Edited by Faye
  • Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Did I mention that this turned out to be way harder than it looked?

Made a little progress the other day, and decided that I need to spend some time to learn to tool and carve leather better. I might also need to take sewing lessons.

20210305_165232.jpg

20210309_195316_HDR.jpg

20210309_195322_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with that!  The trick with the seams is not to sew them at all.  Just hide glue.  It's lasted around a thousand years on the earliest surviving castle-kept swords in Europe. B)  Of course, that's only for leather-on-wood scabbards.  If you use all leather you still have to sew, and I'm not that great at it either. :lol:

On 3/10/2021 at 12:52 PM, Alan Longmire said:

The trick with the seams is not to sew them at all.  Just hide glue.

I really have to get some hide glue. I keep hearing it's great stuff.

12 hours ago, Faye said:

I really have to get some hide glue. I keep hearing it's great stuff.

Get the dry kind.  The premixed doesn't work the way it's supposed to on a wood/leather bond.  The dry kind you mix yourself is stinky, has to be kept warm, and goes bad a few hours after you mix it up, but it is all they say it is.  Painted on organic stuff like wood, leather, or string, it penetrates and sets up like steel.  Those sword handles and scabbards with a base layer of string under the leather work like fiberglass or carbon fiber.  And once the glue is dry, a little topcoat of a waterproof grease like mink oil keeps it from ever coming loose if it gets wet again. Well, you can steam it off, but under normal circumstances it won't let go.

But again, your sewing is better than mine! B) The tooling looks great too.