Now kitchen knives really aren't my thing so after I finished the blades and glued the handle blocks on them they just sat on a shelf for months :lol: but thought it was about time to finish them so I can put them in the case of things I don't use.

The small one is 45 layers while the other two are 135 with cocobolo handles and buffalo horn.

IMG_20210101_131130.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now kitchen knives really aren't my thing so after I finished the blades and glued the handle blocks on them they just sat on a shelf for months  but thought it was about time to finish them so I can

I really shouldn't be left unsupervised . The dragon is 45 layers of 75Ni8 and 80CrV2 with a 23cm cutting edge and 53mm high at the heel. Starts at a chunky 5mm thick at the bolster and distal tapers

Well, got this finished up and feel a little underwhelmed. Might have needed some dragon heads or something 

Posted Images

@Bjorn Gylfason......these are very nice! What steel/Damascus blend was used if I may ask. Also how were they etched? I am asking because the patterns are distinct yet don’t take away from the choice of handles.

Gary LT

Those look too nice to put “in a case of stuff I don’t use”.....! I’m betting if you don’t decide to use or sell them that they would make fantastic gifts.  Clint

Those are nice!  I agree with Clint, too nice to put in a drawer. B)

From what I can find, DIN 1.2210 is not something we can get in the USA, but it's similar to 52100, but with less chromium and a touch of vanadium.  Or W2 with a bit of chromium. Looks like good stuff for a kitchen knife!  The 75Ni8 is sort of like L6, but also with less chromium.  Kind of close to 15N20 for North American users.  Also a good choice.

@Bjorn Gylfason, thank you Bjorn. I haven’t tried a soaking etch in citric acid but I soak in vinegar all the time for scales removal. So, these are options to try. 

@Alan Longmire, do you think 52100 and 15n20 would pattern weld or too much chromium in the 52100?

Happy New Year Fellas!

Gary LT

1 minute ago, Gary LT said:

do you think 52100 and 15n20 would pattern weld

They should work, as long as you keep everything clean, but I'd use W2 instead.  The heat treatment is closer to 15N20, and thus less chance to screw something up.  But that's just me.  ;)

Well, to my surprise it was quite well received in a national fb group and one is keen to buy them all and asked if I could make a 9" chefs knife to go with them :blink:

So I cut and stacked a bar I had leftover and drew this out. Not very close in profile but will see what the grinder can make of it

IMG_20210101_212130.jpg

• Like 2

@Bjorn Gylfason, that’s good news Bjorn! Will this 9” also have a high count layer like the 2 smaller ones?

Gary LT

Yes, it was going to have slightly more layers than those. Ground it and it looked pretty good except for what looked like a tiny delamination. Didn't look so small after quench though <_<

So now I have to wait until I can get more steel

IMG_20210102_213422.jpg

IMG_20210102_222153.jpg

Ouch. There is a small knife hiding in there when you can bare to look at it again! - nice work on the other ones BTW :)

Well I'm started in another billet and found out what the problem was last time. It's so cold in the workshop that the dyes of the power hammer draw the heat out of the outermost layers preventing them from welding. Feel silly over not realizing it earlier but live and learn so next time I'll heat a block of steel and use it to warm the dyes up before taking the billet to them.

IMG_20210104_183919.jpg

IMG_20210106_190437.jpg

received_429883648202674.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some time to forge yesterday. My estimating skills on how much material is needed is always as great.. I was aiming for a 22cm long blade :lol:

Will have to see if the guy would like a huge knife or if I'm going to have to cut it down a bit

IMG_20210125_213802.jpg

• Haha 1

The big one went all banana on me in the quench so still working on straightening it through temper cycles. Also found this 18cm one in the grinding room I had completely forgotten about :lol: it is a good comparison to see how ridiculous the big one is

IMG_20210128_103814.jpg

• Haha 1

Wonderful stuff Bjorn, as nice as I have ever seen. Though....that big one....you cold make it bigger!B)

Guy came today to pick them up and was very happy with them so very motivated to continue getting better at forging those tricky things out.

Here's the newest one out of the vinegar etch and quite pleased with how the pattern laid out.

From making swords I seem to have an obsession with distal taper on everything :lol:

It's 5mm thick at the shoulder and has a straight taper down to almost nothing at the tip. I find it aesthetically pleasing and it helps with balance as well

IMG_20210213_111315.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Also started on a little pet project of a serving set.

Going with a little bit of a viking theme and need to make a fork to go with the carving knife.

And now I'm trying to figure out what kind of handles I should make for them

It's all good practice for forge welding and pretty sure I'll soon be confident enough to try making a sword of multiple bars

IMG_20210220_130601.jpg

IMG_20210220_130456.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

As I have mostly just crappy ikea knives in my own kitchen I decided that this one would be for myself. And because of that it has a lot more robust edge than I would usually do because I'm clumsy in my attempts in the kitchen :lol:

But it has a 135 layer blade from 75Ni8 and 80CrV2 with a boxwood and buffalo horn handle and balances on the shoulder

IMG_20210325_153405.jpg

IMG_20210325_153414.jpg

IMG_20210325_153422.jpg

IMG_20210325_153454.jpg

IMG_20210325_153522.jpg

IMG_20210325_153539.jpg

• Like 2

Nice one!  If your family is like mine when it comes to caring for carbon steel knives, don't let anyone else use it ;)

Ditto here on family use of carbon steel blades. “What do you mean I can’t put this in the dishwasher.”?

And...it’s a beauty Bjorn. Looking at all these kitchen knife blades I am liking the way you’ve welded the different twists as I can’t see a seam or blending line!

Gary LT

Edited by Gary LT