Minimum thickness for reliable welds between wrought and blade steel?

I know I've run across this before but I can't find it now. One direction I'd like to try in the coming year as I get my shop back in order is small to moderate sized seax style belt/utility blades with wrought iron backs. How thin can you take the stock prior to welding and still get reliable butt welds between the two? I haven't built a dedicated welding forge yet but I have some 3/4" round wrought I can start forging down into square or rectangular stock.

Thanks Alan, I was thinking 1/4 would be awful convenient, especially for the smaller blades, but that a broader area of weld might be better. Maybe even a "V" shape groove in the wrought to fit a beveled edge of the edge steel to provide even more weld surface area. 

1/4" is no problem with short pieces where you can set the weld in 1 or 2 heats. It's not really a surface area problem so much as thinner pieces are harder to keep properly aligned. These days I try and set the welds by squeezing with tongs in the forge, which seems to help with slippage and having the unwelded parts open up on you...

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, jake cleland said:

1/4" is no problem with short pieces where you can set the weld in 1 or 2 heats. It's not really a surface area problem so much as thinner pieces are harder to keep properly aligned. These days I try and set the welds by squeezing with tongs in the forge, which seems to help with slippage and having the unwelded parts open up on you...

Thanks Jake, setting the weld in the forge is something I've never considered before but I can see the benefit especially on smaller pieces.