Stainless san mai questions

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am wanting to try some san mai with 416 stainless on the outside and high carbon in the center. I seen a great wip post on here from about 5 years where someone was doing something similar, and now I cannot find the post again.

Anyway from what I have seen others do is put the stack together and weld all the way around the bullet to keep air out so the stainless won't decarb so bad on the inside.

1st question is what type of weld/welder needs to be done around the edge? I have a arc welder but not 100% sure that with 6010rod will work on the stainless. I don't actually have the 416 here now or I would just try. 

2nd what forge temps are needed for this type of san mai. I have done wrought iron and high carbon before pretty easily. Is it about the same temps or do I need higher temps. 

I'm sure these may be silly questions but there ya go. 

Thanks for any help on my first attempt at this!

First off I am no expert on SS. I'm have been messing with SS Damascus myself and can tell you what I have learned so far.

I weld all the way around with a tig welder by fusion welding. This way I don't introduce any other metals to the mix.

SS needs a lot of heat. I had my forge up to 2150°, but I think I really need to be around 2200. It will definitely need a lot more heat than regular carbon steel.

45 minutes ago, Paul Carter said:

First off I am no expert on SS. I'm have been messing with SS Damascus myself and can tell you what I have learned so far.

I weld all the way around with a tig welder by fusion welding. This way I don't introduce any other metals to the mix.

SS needs a lot of heat. I had my forge up to 2150°, but I think I really need to be around 2200. It will definitely need a lot more heat than regular carbon steel.

Thanks for the help! I have seen some SS rod for arc welders and I wondered if that would work. I am in the market for a new welder and thought of splurging on a combo that does arc/mig/tig.

I hope my forge will get that hot! Ha

Here is the welder I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXHRBQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cannot say enough good things about it. I wanted something for under $1000 and this had the highest ratings of anything I looked at. Mostly excellent reviews. Over 400 of them. 4.9 out of 5 stars. I use the Tig welder but haven't used the arc welder yet. It is effortless to use and makes an amateur look like a pro. It does not have a mig function though. I tried to find a Mig/Tig combo but the only ones I saw would not do A/C on the Tig, which I really wanted to be able to do aluminum. So I bought this one. No Mig but that's OK. Tig is better anyway. No spatter, no mess.

• Like 1

Any kind of welder / weld will do. I have used stick, mig and tig....and they all do fine. Remember to clean/ grind the surfaces and keep them flat. 

Temperature is the same as any other weld ...1200/1300 degrees celsius. After the first weld I keep the billet at forgewelding temperature for 10 - 15 min. ....To ensure proper bonding. 

as you will notice from the pictures ...the scale is different from plain carbon steel and the activity in the laminated steel depends on the kind of stainless used. 316 stainless gives almost no activity ...while 400 series ( 416, 420, Aebl ) will show more activity in the bonded area. 

3A045FCC-3EC3-4D5B-8AEF-DDAA3612D218.jpeg

F4599A04-C548-40C5-9FC9-ADB5ED422CAF.jpeg

2107F7B3-EE47-4F1D-B19E-6E52E7E711EA.jpeg

9C4FED31-415F-4DC0-939F-FF29639D0822.jpeg

3B569D88-9ECD-4573-A91F-B2495522B0A5.jpeg

• Like 1