Not even close to a knife... A curved fireplace screen

This is a curved fireplace screen I started when I was in school, about 10 or 12 years ago. I was reorganizing my shop and got tired of the unfinished pieces laying on the floor, so I started working on it again when I refilled my oxygen bottle. I figured I'd share the large, non knife related project I've been spending time on.

The scrolls are forged flat, then bent and twisted on a form to ensure that they curve consistently over the entire piece. I have a bit more tweaking and some small pieces to do before assembly.

PXL_20201231_022407629_copy_1612x1209.jpg

PXL_20201230_223013123_copy_1612x2149.jpg

IMG_20201230_192031_01_copy_1612x2149.jpg

PXL_20201230_212904695_copy_1612x2149.jpg

• Like 10

That looks great, Bob.  Forging on a curve is not at easy.  I also like how you incorporated different styles of finials. Very well done!  

Are the 2 main scrolls forged from one piece of stock?

Edited by billyO
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, billyO said:

That looks great, Bob.  Forging on a curve is not at easy.  I also like how you incorporated different styles of finials. Very well done!  

Are the 2 main scrolls forged from one piece of stock?

The large scroll is 5 or 6 parts forged and welded together. The pair of scrolls was 2 pieces.

Nice!  I've made a couple of fireplace screens, but never a curved one.  That's a whole 'nother level!

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Nice!  I've made a couple of fireplace screens, but never a curved one.  That's a whole 'nother level!

Thanks Alan! It really is a whole other level! Not only do they have to match flat, you have to bend them and then twist them so that everything matches and is level throughout the scroll. A major headache and I have no idea how they did it without torches.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, Bob Ouellette said:

I have no idea how they did it without torches.

With a round faced hammer and a saddle.  It's been years, but back when I worked for others, I helped do a few curved railings.

4 hours ago, Chadd S. said:

Wow, that looks amazing. Reminds me of the stuff my teacher used to make. Very nice job there.

Thanks! Who was your teacher?

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

With a round faced hammer and a saddle.  It's been years, but back when I worked for others, I helped do a few curved railings.

That sounds like an incredible pain, not that the torch method isn't a pain itself.

John Adams at Tunnel Mill Crafts. I only took a couple of classes from him but I'll never forget him. One the coolest, nicest guys I ever met. I used to show up early just chat with him. I'm pretty sure he and Ric Furrer knew each other, taught classes together. Sadly, John passed away a couple years ago. Amazing guy.

10 hours ago, Bob Ouellette said:

That sounds like an incredible pain, not that the torch method isn't a pain itself.

On small stuff, not so bad, but putting the curve and helix on a curved handrail was a three man job.  You had to hold both ends, otherwise the shock wave from hitting would mess-up what you had already done.

3 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

On small stuff, not so bad, but putting the curve and helix on a curved handrail was a three man job.  You had to hold both ends, otherwise the shock wave from hitting would mess-up what you had already done.

I believe it!