It's been some time since I've posted here and I apologize for that.  Since this isn't my normal project, I thought some here might be interested.

I'm scheduled to do the Arkansas Knifemaker's Show next month and wanted something to enter into the "Best Fighter" competition so I'm making this to be my entry:

This rapier blade is of a 336 layer damascus in a random pattern.  The guard is of 416.  The knuckle bow that you see here is also of 416 which will eventually get forged into a semi-circle, welded to one quillon and have an ivory cabochon inlaid into the center.

The hilt is of some pre-ban ivory that I've been saving for a project such as this.  It will eventually get eight spiral flutes and twisted silver wire between each flute.  

IMG_9230_opt

IMG_9966_opt

IMG_9972_opt (1)

IMG_9974_opt

• Like 8

I got the ivory fluted and slotted for a twisted wire inlay.  I'm not satisfied with the first pommel that I made so I'll need to construct a new one.  Then I'll need to forge a knuckle bow to shape and weld to one quillon of the guard.  I'm planning on inlaying an ivory cabochon into the center of the knuckle bow but that will come later.

IMG_9989_opt

IMG_9993_opt

IMG_0005_opt

• Like 4

You know Gary, I always expect your work to be impeccable and yet you continue to impress me!!! I am tuned in for this one!

• Like 1

Really like that handle, Gary.  I've tried doing that a couple of times and it just never seems to turn out right.  That's going to be a sweet rapier when you get it finished.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Lot's of sand & polish left to do and I'm sure that I will need to bend it slightly to fit the hilt but the hilt now has a knuckle bow:

IMG_0029_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
22 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Awesome Gary...as always but perhaps just a bit more awesome than usual.

Quite true. B)

• Like 1

Though I spent much of my shop time getting ready for a class that I'm teaching tomorrow, I got the pommel made, drilled, and the knuckle bow bent to fit today.  It's always a bit of a challenge to bend it exactly to fit and I heated & re-heated it several times before the end fit the hole in the pommel exactly right.

As my class is reproducing "Bowie No. 1",  it will be lengthy so I may not have the time to work more on this for a while..  I'll post more on this rapier when I can devote the time to it.

IMG_0040_opt

IMG_0045_opt

If you look closely you can see the indention that I forged into the center of the knuckle bow.  This will be to accept an ivory cabochon inlay once I have everything sanded & polished.  It's hard to see but there is a hole drilled in the center for a stainless pin to hold the cabochon in place.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 4

After spending a week teaching a class, I got enough shop time to get the silver wire inlaid in my ivory hilt.  There's still a good bit of work left to do on the ivory as you can only do so much before the inlay.  Once I get the final shaping done to the flutes I will sand & polish it before applying  a gloss clear coat.

This hilt has eight wire inlays which may seem like a high number but I wanted this handle so have a lot of silver for contrast.

IMG_0085_opt

• Like 5

My next step with this one is to do the final shaping, sand & polish of the guard in preparation for the ivory inlay.  I'm still debating as to whether or not to add a little engraving/filework around the cabochon inlay. 

IMG_0091_opt

IMG_0090_opt

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I'm still debating as to whether or not to add a little engraving/filework around the cabochon inlay

FWIW, I’d say go for it