1st knife design, tell me why its wrong... or not.

Hi y'all, I am really new. Like this is my first design and I haven't made it yet new. I accidentally bought 1095 instead of 1084 and I realize the issues there but Im going to work through it and then switch to 1084 from when this is used up. Any ways. Here is my knife design. The idea is sort of camp cooking knife as I want to make kitchen knives but not start at a full 10" chef knife. Please let me know what you think of the dimensions and what have you. Thanks in advance.

20210108_090614.jpg

First thoughts: What purpose is the knife intended for and would you like to use it?  I've only made a few knifes, and all have been for me and mine, so the design was driven by what I wanted and would use.

Posted (edited)

Good call Brian N, I didn't think about that but you're right. Thanks.

Gerald B, I'm thinking light veggie cutting and/or meat small chef knife basically.

Edited by OliverB

Overall I like it.  It should be a pretty good general use type of blade.  I think Brian is spot on with the handle though.  On a fully hidden tang I'd probably also lean toward shortening the tang up a bit and only using 1 pin instead of three.  With that thick of starting stock, consider bring the bevels up closer to a full flat grind too.  It'll perform a bit better on kitchen tasks that way.

Here's an extremely crappy sketch of what I mean :D:

InkedInked20210108_090614.jpg.e1b08041f8780e996d0d87c1294a65fd_LI.jpg

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I appreciate yall responding so quickly. I think Im going to use all of your ideas

Edit:

I updated the design a little and went with full tang

20210108_131424.jpg

Edited by OliverB

Hi! the basic design looks good. The problem with these 'critique my design' threads, is it often results in either a design by committee, or people just saying how they would make them (which is basically a completely different knife! :D ) 

Im not suggesting that anyone posing here is doing that, just i've often seen it on the Kitchen knife forums! - you have to go with your gut to make your own knife!

Anyway, all that said, .............. here is what I would do a bit differently if I was making it :rolleyes: :lol:

Consider dropping the 'tip' of the knife by 3 or 4 mm ( 1/8 - 3/16") just from the shinogi line. (ie, just the last 1" of blade) 

The sculpting in the handle, where it drops below the 'top line' of the knife looks a bit odd to my eye, and the heel of the handle kicks up.

If you look at lots of aesthetically pleasing knives, generally the 'top line' of the knife is gently curved (think shallow wonky rainbow)

The other thing to weigh up is if 10cm handle is long enough, I find, even on 'petty' kitchen knives that 11 - 11.5 cms in the minimum not to feel stumpy. Nothing wrong with knocking up a few rough handle prototypes from a bit of pine to see what shape and dimensions 'feels' right, before you spend hours on a full tang!

Look forward to seeing the knife when done - enjoy making it.

• Like 2

I really like the blade design for a general purpose camp knife. For a dedicated cooking knife, perhaps not so much. To me, a kitchen knife needs an edge profile with a fairly gentle even curve from heel to tip, and enough depth at the heel for knuckle clearance. How those two things are connected, ie the line of the spine, is a matter of personal taste. But any knife will cut up food for a meal, and a camp knife has to do other tasks which a kitchen knife is not suited for, so I'd say your blade is fine. The handle however... knives are tools, and good tool handles are comfortable and versatile. If you compare the tools used by a craftsman to generic hardware store crap, you'll notice that proper handles are largely straight, with maybe a palm swell or flare at the butt end, plain with no grooves or ridges, and generally comparatively long. All the lumps and bumps people throw into a handle for grip create instant hot spots, and mean the handle can only be held one way, which increases fatigue and decreases utility. With your design I'd keep the blade and tang exactly as they are, but just take the line of the top of the handle down to the line of the tang, as a half tang construction. The shape of the underside of the handle is better, but I'd lose the notch between blade and handle, which will trap dirt etc. 

• Like 1

In essence nothing wrong with the blade, reminded me of the Tops Frog Market Special.

I would say make the blade considering that valid advice about the tang and bevel grind, worry about the design and the handle later.

I've made my first few kitchen knives and used two of the extensively in my own kitchen, every with my XXXL hands I've found a thin, simple works best for me, almost like a pretty afterthought.

To my eye and sensibilities the suggestion of a guard in the handle looks off. 

For some reason I really enjoy these threads. I think it stems from this being my favorite part of a build, I can design anything I want on paper, but making it real is the hard part :P. I think I also enjoy them because I feel I am still in this stage, trying to make aesthetically pleasing, but mostly FUNCTIONAL knives. 

I agree with John N:

On 1/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, John N said:

The problem with these 'critique my design' threads, is it often results in either a design by committee, or people just saying how they would make them (which is basically a completely different knife! :D ) 

So, I apologize in advance, but I was sitting here reading what others were saying and wanting to share what I’ve learned... So, I started drawing. 

Here is my version:

7B5668E8-AF66-473C-AD19-9888E26CB0C7.jpeg

Take this however you want, and most importantly, make your own knife! 

Also, make you sure you post pictures!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

For some reason I really enjoy these threads. I think it stems from this being my favorite part of a build, I can design anything I want on paper, but making it real is the hard part :P. I think I also enjoy them because I feel I am still in this stage, trying to make aesthetically pleasing, but mostly FUNCTIONAL knives. 

I agree with John N:

So, I apologize in advance, but I was sitting here reading what others were saying and wanting to share what I’ve learned... So, I started drawing. 

Here is my version:

7B5668E8-AF66-473C-AD19-9888E26CB0C7.jpeg

Take this however you want, and most importantly, make your own knife! 

Also, make you sure you post pictures!

That looks great! - (would be better if you had dropped the tip a bit :rolleyes:) we should totally have a forum design by committee knife and all make one to show and tell :D 

I would have a go at making that if others were up for a make it / swap it challenge !

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, John N said:

(would be better if you had dropped the tip a bit :rolleyes:)

I would have too, but I was ~ kinda ~ trying to keep the same blade shape/feel of the original design? :ph34r:

Design by committee, make it, swap it KITH does sound fun! (but possibly very aggravating at the same time :lol:)

7 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

I would have too, but I was ~ kinda ~ trying to keep the same blade shape/feel of the original design? :ph34r:

Design by committee, make it, swap it KITH does sound fun! (but possibly very aggravating at the same time :lol:)

I would just be up for making it, as its different to what I normally make (challenge!) - Its also much harder to make to a specification (challenge again!) - If another couple of people are interested we should do a mini KITH for sure.

Sorry for the thread derailment! 

I just started a 2021 KITH thread and put Design by Committee as an idea.  Even if it doesn't make it as this years theme, I'd totally be up for doing something like that.  Reminds me of the "Beginners Challenge" that@Joshua States started.

36 minutes ago, John N said:

I would just be up for making it, as its different to what I normally make (challenge!) - Its also much harder to make to a specification (challenge again!)

If you are talking about this specific design, I'd definitely be interested in a swap, though I'm not sure I'm up to your level by any means. I have always admired your work for sure. 

I'm also sorry for thread derailment!

I work in government during the day. I get enough "design by committee" during my day job. I will not participate in my off hours.......:D

• Haha 3
33 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

I work in government during the day. I get enough "design by committee" during my day job. I will not participate in my off hours.......:D

You and me both! Although making a knife to a list of specifications isn't as annoying to think of.   As long as the next level of bureaucracy doesn't have the power to send it back for revision I'm fine with it! :P

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

making a knife to a list of specifications

That's not what I envisioned when I heard "design by committee. This is actually a really good idea. (and something I am currently doing, and have done before)

That I could get behind.

My bush craft hunter is the result of a group of hunters testing the best of what they could find available from both commercial and some custom offerings and testing them in controlled backyard situations to whittle the least satisfactory out of contention. Then the remaining were tested under US field and hunting conditions to find a suitable knife and sheath for the domestic and international hunter who may have to do more than the usual when asked to. All failed in one way or another from sheath pier ING to hotspots to handle overall dimensions and even to some spects of the blade from shape to thickness to grind style. There were 5 or 6 men involved and they put a list of criteria forward and asked if I could come up with a design to incorporate all he desirable points they highlighted. Been a lot of orders for the resulting knife with many fulfling the intended Africa hunting tasks with more being used in the domestic hunting and bush craft scene so to sum it up, the the committee of knowlagable knife users can be benefit be for the wider knife using (or making) community 

• Like 2