A change in attitude

Hey all. I just completed the destructive ABS performance test with a knife I made, just to see if I could do it ( I have no aspirations for the ABS).  I was thinking about how before I had a grinder and every blade took much longer and involved quite a bit more physical labor, I'd try to finish every blade I made as best I could. I didn't want that extensive amount of time to feel wasted if a blade broke or didn't do what I needed it to do. After I got my grinder and made a few blades, time wasn't as much of an issue because the effort to get to different steps was so much less. Now, I have no problem making a blade knowing there's a good chance it'll snap in half. It's a good feeling learning that you did something right or how you did something bad that needs correcting.

I love the fact that you're willing to completely destroy a completely finished blade.  I wish I could say the same.  You can't leave us hanging though.  Did it pass?

Edited by Alex Middleton
28 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

I love the fact that you're willing to completely destroy a completely finished blade.  I wish I could say the same.  You can't leave us hanging though.  Did it pass?

The level of finish wasn't very high. No polish, rough handle. It passed though!

PXL_20210110_174813864_copy_766x574.jpg

received_920886668654994_copy_766x1439.jpeg

received_869832683783362_copy_766x1439.jpeg

received_149554056931922_copy_766x1439.jpeg

I will break blades every so often just to make sure I am still getting the HT right on steels I typically use. I also break finished blades whenever I try a new steel or get a new batch of steel I am not totally comfortable heat treating.

Bob, Did you run the blade through the whole test (rope, chop, and bend), or just the bend?

Edited by Joshua States
17 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I will break blades every so often just to make sure I am still getting the HT right on steels I typically use. I also break finished blades whenever I try a new steel or get a new batch of steel I am not totally comfortable heat treating.

Bob, Did you run the blade through the whole test (rope, chop, and bend), or just the bend?

It's the only way that most of us can be sure of our heat treatment.  I didn't have any rope, but I hacked up a bunch of 2x4s and small trees trying to take over my raspberries and it was still shaving sharp.

• Like 1