Hi everyone.

I've been lurking around here for quite some time now and been trying to learn all I can. I am having heaps of fun with this hobby, and admittedly I probably need heaps more advise. I decided to try and make myself a kitchen knife as the ones I am currently using... Leaves something to be desired. That being said, so does probably my own. I've loved the look of k-tips gyutos since i learned about them and figured that was the way i wanted to go with my own kitchen knife.

The blade is 1084 and 22-23 cm long, currently weighing 176 grams. Not yet heat treated and I would be grateful for any critique. (And let me know if any more photos would be needed. My phone is a potato)

IMG_20210115_145935_8.jpg

IMG_20210115_150008_8.jpg

IMG_20210115_150122_4.jpg

IMG_20210115_150157_3.jpg.

IMG_20210115_150219_5.jpg

It looks great to me except your edge profile could use some rework. It's a very important aspect that will dictate how the knife will be moved. The widest part of a chef blade should always be at the heel. But we can clearly see in your first pic that the middle of the blade is somewhat flat and there's some belly both ways. The edge should be almost flat near the heel and have a progressive belly towards the tip, following a line that's not parallel to the spine. Here's an exaggerated sketch of what I'm talking about.

Edit: making a smooth and progressive edge profile is harder that it looks and a large "French curve" stencil will help a lot with that.

IMG_20181015_213149.jpg

Edited by Joël Mercier

I don't know if you are going for the brut de forge look or not but I would say that you are striking the steel too hard and maybe not squarely with the face of you hammer.  Check to see if the face of you hammer is smooth without any sharp line.  Also check to see if you anvil is at the right height.  The face should be at knuckle height.

Doug

• Like 1

That's the look I'm going for. Still working on hammer control. It probably doesn't help that my little post anvil has a tendency to skew itself at times. I've converted a 4lb hammer into a rounding hammer that I've mainly been using for this project. I'll check and see if I need to keep grinding down the edges. Pretty sure I've had some mis-hits too.

The anvil face is at knuckle height, although that doesn't feel that optimal to me. I read somewhere someone mentioning that the recommendation comes from old, when using a striker was more common. I'm wondering if there is something to that.

8 hours ago, Bjorn Hauge said:

. I'm wondering if there is something to that.

There is.  Working alone with a light hammer, the anvil needs to be a bit higher.  Not too high, that's even worse for you!  I like the face to be about 3cm higher than knuckle height. That way the hammer strikes squarely with the elbow not quite fully extended.

• Like 2