A big ol' chopper thingee

I have said publicly that I hate these things, and it's true, I hates 'em.  But I'm also happy to make someone else happy (and make a couple of bucks)  so here it is.  The good camera needs a charge and the phone is at best adequate, but here you go.

Cut from a crosscut saw
0.10 Steel (1095 at a guess)

Stabilized maple burl handle

10 inch edge

This is actually the second one, I tried to heat treat the first one (I got careless grinding and had a soft spot on the edge) and it turned into a potato chip.  Everything I did made the problem worse.  I just gave up and started over.

Trollhouse1.jpg

Geoff

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, is there a function for the teeth?  Or simply a design thing?  I'm assuming this is a cleaver.....

BillyO, the clients husband saw a video of a Serbian farmer using a thing like this as a food prep tool.  That one clearly had been cut from a saw.  That's what he wanted, so that's what I made.  I can't find the video, but I'm sure if you scout around, it's there.

What do Zombies need a knife for?

Geoff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They're not my flavor, either. That said, good job and I'm glad you could make some money off of them.

Edited by Bob Ouellette

That's got a certain x-factor that makes it lovable Geoff.

Is it just me, or do "Serbian" knife concepts seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately?

Geoff, that thing is awesome! Chopper on one side and meat tenderizer on the other!! Didn't see that coming.jpg

Some of my first knives were made from the steel of a two man saw! My mentor at the time told me that the steel was probably as hard as could get. He suggested that if I was careful with the grind and not let it overheat that it would not benefit from a HT. I made several knives from the steel and they would sharpen to shaving stage. The steel takes an edge and holds that edge fairly well and when it starts to dull a couple of passes on a good stone and the edge comes right back up!!

Drilling for handles was not an easy! I had to wrap the blade in a wet rag and spot heat the area and drill. A regular cobalt bit would dull after a hole or two. I bought some cheap masonry bits. By reshaping the the grind on the small carbides to a 135* on the tip they cut pretty good for five or six holes and the heat from spot heating would burn the carbides off of them!! 

I still use one of those knives and one I sold to a friend. He still brags about it possibly being the sharpest knife he ever saw. He bought it for his Grandson and upon delivery I warned him if the Grandson was not careful he could cut himself very easily!! He still talks about how quickly you can bring the edge back up to razor sharp!!