I've been working on copying the design of a kudu style folder.  I am almost finished with prototype #1  and wanted to get some feedback from anyone else who has attempted this design.   There's a little free play in the closed position.  Meaning the blade falls out of the handle enough that it could catch a finger.   I am hoping once I tighten the pivot it won't be an issue.   If not, I will have to forge a new blade and make the first tooth a bit larger.

20210121_063633.jpg

20210121_063113.jpg

20210121_063031.jpg

• Like 1

Tightening the pivot won't help.  If it has play when closed, there's not enough steel on the edge side of the tang, usually at the kick, but also at the tail end.  Given the way the spring on that works, it's most likely too much off the heel.  If the kick is too short, the blade goes too far into the handle.  If the heel is too short, the spring can't hold the blade fully closed. 

I've done eight finished folders now, and I have five ruined blades, three ruined backsprings, and two ruined liners. :wacko:  It's just part of the learning curve.  

• Like 2

Could you add some “buildup” (below the square notch on the spring) which would add more contact to the heel?

or 

Reduce the frame distance so the blade heel will stay snug to the spring when closed? And that would also mean reducing the top on the blade at the notch area. The first picture with the blade separate look like these two dimension are not equal to each other from the pivot hole.

or 

Just make a new blade pattern and do it the way you planned! :lol::lol:l

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.  I have to work on a kitchen project before I can get back to this.  I will keep you updated on my progress.

I ended up with no other choice than to move the heel forward or forge a new blade.  Lucky for me I was able to heat and move the heel forward without sacrificing the blade temper.  It's not pretty but it worked.  

20210128_062914.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with how soft the cherry handle ended up so I switched to maple burl.  I'll call it done and maybe try making another some day 

20210214_111404.jpg