Bevel dies for forging press

Guys, I want to make me bevel dies.  The idea is to preforge as much as I can on the machine, because I dont usually have that much time and my hands are not in the best shape.

Does anybody has something like that?   Thanks for ideas.

2 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

The heat gets sucked out of a thin edge so quickly by the dies it's not really worthwhile. 

Thanks Dave.  I, too have been thinking about making some, but this was my primary concern. 

Do you know if these would work for a power hammer?

10 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

I have a set for my hydraulic press. I wouldn't bother. The heat gets sucked out of a thin edge so quickly by the dies it's not really worthwhile. 

Thats the biggest difference between the press and power hammer I have noticed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jaro Petrina said:

Thats the biggest difference between the press and power hammer I have noticed.

That...and the amount of steel you can move in one press.  It took me a little bit to get used to the power that a press has.

1 minute ago, billyO said:

That...and the amount of steel you can move in one press.  It took me a little bit to get used to the power that a press has.

Yeah, usually quite easy to screw something up. :D

The trouble with bevel dies on a hammer is they greatly exaggerate the banana curve.  If you're used to hand-forging bevels you're used to straightening the blade as you go, or maybe pre-bending it the other way.  With a power hammer the speed at which the curve away from the edge appears is astonishing.  They also tend to spit the steel out to one side, making it hard to hold on to.

A large rolling mill might be able to do it well.  

• Like 1

I made a small set once for my press. The only thing they were good for was setting the plunge lines.

Edited by Joshua States
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

A large rolling mill might be able to do it well.  

I would think this would make the banana curving at least as troublesome.  Once you put the piece in, they typically pull the whole piece through, don't they?  At least with the power hammer or press, you can take little bites can't you (depending on the size of the blade, of course)?

You do typically pull it through in one go, or rather, the machine grabs it and spits it through in one go.  I'm not talking about the little McDonald-type rolling mills, I'm talking about the big industrial ones.  With those you can design dies that are grooved such that the blade is forced to be straight and taper is pressed in as well.  Somewhere around here there's a video of Wilkinson Sword making saber blades that way.  

Purely theoretical for most of us, I doubt one would fit in my shop even if I could afford one and the 480V three-phase to run it. :lol:

Edit: Found the video.  I want one of those!  

• Like 2