I figured it would probably be a good idea to build a suitable stand for my forge. Idea was from YouTube second shelf will be layered with fire bricks to allow pieces to cool down. 

disclaimer - I’ve welded maybe a handful of times in my life so to all the professionals out there I’m sorry for embarrassing the art of welding.  

DB9F7F0F-56FB-46E4-80B6-731341205957.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like it will do the job.  The welds look better than mine usually do.

I see the Indiana plate in the background.  What part of the state are you in?

The only thing I would add if you haven't already is some way to secure the forge to the table so it doesn't slide around the top. If you have angle iron leftover you can run it long like tracks that the forge sits in and if you leave it long it allows for a table at the front and back of the forge for brick doors or setting something.  It looks way better than my welds and should serve you well.

I live on the west side of Indy around Avon Plainfield area. 

Sean here is the finish product the forge is actually pretty snug in there if I’d a been a 1/32 tight I would of had to do some sanding but I through bolted it for sure. I also added a slide out tool rest which also is useful for holding bricks in front of the front opening. 

now I just need to disassemble it and sand and paint to make it look like it’s official 

4D9269DE-6715-4FD4-8196-D56F8014398D.jpeg

5AB445FA-1A31-4111-8109-3AD9EF3C766E.jpeg

842583B1-26E9-4C14-B1BD-609D46D0D49F.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a good start.

I suspect at some point you are going to wish you could have your doors in place, but also have your tool support slid out about a foot.  However, froges are never done.  You'll always be tweaking something with it :)

I'm only about 45-50 minutes west of you on US40.

Ryan, looks good and stable. Not looking at other posts, did you plan to coat the interior to cover the ceramic wool and firebrick? Looks like only 1” of ceramic blanket and bricks do absorb heat. I used a brick bottom also but coated it.

3 burners will get awfully hot. I also added a rail to support standing bricks covering either or both openings. I very seldom have two open ends, as I have plenty of room inside for most work.They can topple off when least expected!! I can slide the bricks to open and close and this helps retain the heat inside.

Just for what it’s worth.

Gary LT

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, Brian Dougherty said:

Looks like a good start.

I suspect at some point you are going to wish you could have your doors in place, but also have your tool support slid out about a foot.  However, froges are never done.  You'll always be tweaking something with it :)

I'm only about 45-50 minutes west of you on US40.

this forge only has a rear door but the fire bricks do help a lot.  I just recently finished a set of tongs and my first knife and having this stand was a huge blessing. 

what the chances you would know anyone trying to get rid of an anvil in the indy area??

On 2/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, Gary LT said:

Ryan, looks good and stable. Not looking at other posts, did you plan to coat the interior to cover the ceramic wool and firebrick? Looks like only 1” of ceramic blanket and bricks do absorb heat. I used a brick bottom also but coated it.

3 burners will get awfully hot. I also added a rail to support standing bricks covering either or both openings. I very seldom have two open ends, as I have plenty of room inside for most work.They can topple off when least expected!! I can slide the bricks to open and close and this helps retain the heat inside.

Just for what it’s worth.

Gary LT

Gary I ended up adding refectory coating to the wool.  I didn't add anything to the bricks I didn't know that was a thing to do.  the rear of my forge has a door and I actually did knock a brick off today when I was forging my tongs