Hello everyone!

Here is my latest finished sword. I made this with an Elven ranger in mind and decided against any ornate or intricate details. I just wanted functionality.

Stormbringer
Elven Longsword
Steel- 5160
Steel Thickness- 0.250"
Hilt fittings- Mild steel with gun blued finish
Handle- Leather wrapped poplar core
Overall Lengrh- 43.5"
Blade Length- 30"
Blade Width- 2"
Weight- 3lbs 10.7oz

20201112_123534.jpg

20201112_122404.jpg

20201112_122723.jpg

20201112_132220.jpg

Edited by Steve Karakostas
  • Like 5

Very graceful lines.

Great work.

• Like 1

I do like the shape of the sword but over 3 1/2 lbs is heavy for something that size.  I think that part of the problem is the thickness of the steel.  Also, does it have any distal taper in the thickness?

Doug

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, Doug Lester said:

I do like the shape of the sword but over 3 1/2 lbs is heavy for something that size.  I think that part of the problem is the thickness of the steel.  Also, does it have any distal taper in the thickness?

Doug

Hi Doug. I was aiming for it to weigh a little more than a Messer which weighs 3lbs and 2-3 oz. No question it's on the heavier side of swords that size but it definitely doesn't feel like a sword that weighs 3lbs 10oz and it does have a distal taper. I definitely find it tougher to guage the final weight on a fantasy style sword from a drawing than a historical recreation. Next one I make similar to this I want to aim for around 3lbs 5oz.