These are my latest. They are wrought iron steeled with O1. The iron came from a bridge in Iowa. The cutting edge is about 3” long. They are both rust blued. I left one brown. The other I took to black. I chose this blade shape, reminiscent of a tin snips, to show off more of the iron. The iron wouldn't tolerate any punching or twisting, so the shanks and bows are pretty plain.

One blade has a square hole. The pivot screw has a mating square. The nut is used to set the 'tension' between the blades. The square assures the nut rotates with the screw. I peen the end of the thread so the nut doesn't loosen. I found this pivot design on a tin snips, too.

When I started making scissors a few years, I was surprised and disappointed that I could find very little information online to help me. I want to help correct that. I'll start by naming some of the barriers that might be keeping makers away from scissors.

First, I know many blacksmiths who hate grinding. Scissors can require more time at the grinder than at the forge. That shouldn't be a huge barrier to the folks on this forum.

A pair of scissors is a machine with moving parts. They require attention to every detail with nice fit and finish. Shearing requires a little different geometry than slicing, but again, no problem for this forum.

What might be the biggest barrier is the pivot. I tried buying hardware for the pivot, but I ended up making my own. This is a true barrier that needs the collaboration of a group like this. I hope I can entice more smiths to join the fun.

20210208_151728.jpg

• Like 5

Good work! Those look great. I really like the iron.

I keep a couple pair of the old Japanese imports in my bench (like these)

scissors.jpg

So I have often studied them for ideas and inspiration. Just haven't got around to trying yet.

Have you watched this?:

• Like 1

For those interested in scissors, you may also like to check out Grace Horne‘s scissors (and other items).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Don Abbott said:

I keep a couple pair of the old Japanese imports in my bench (like these)

scissors.jpg

Have you watched this?:

Don, I started with small spring scissors, then went to bonsai (jointless) style. Yes, thanks, I've seen that video. 

20191203_085224.jpg

20200708_165156.jpg

1 hour ago, Charles dP said:

For those interested in scissors, you may also like to check out Grace Horne‘s scissors (and other items).

Grace spent some time working at Ernest Wright in Sheffield. She wrote an ebook called Making Artisan Scissors that's available on her site. It has lots of good information from history to grind angles.

• Like 1